Diabetes poses a major health problem globally and is one of the top five leading causes of deaths; 72.96 million people in India are said to live with diabetes.
Neem is a very well-known medicinal herb that has proved to be effective in controlling blood sugar levels. Here is everything you need to know about the role of Neem for diabetes. Let’s read in detail.
Neem Leaves: Nutritional Profile
Neem (also called Indian Lilac and botanically, Azadirachta indica) is a tropical plant well-known for its antiseptic and healing properties. Due to its therapeutic potential, almost all parts of the Neem tree like the flowers, fruits, roots, leaves, seeds and bark are used as an important ingredient in many medicines.
One cup (35 grams) of Neem leaves contains:
Advantages of Neem Leaves for Diabetes
Neem leaves are loaded with glycosides, triterpenoids, antioxidants and flavonoids, which possess anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-diabetic properties.
Several studies have revealed that the anti-diabetic properties of Neem leaves aid insulin to increase the uptake of glucose into fat and muscle cells and, hence, helps in maintaining glucose levels in the body.
Ways to Consume Neem Leaves for Diabetes
You can consume Neem leaves depending upon your lifestyle and comfort. It is beneficial to have Neem leaves on an empty stomach early in the morning.
Raw Neem Leaves :
If you can tolerate the bitterness of Neem leaves, it is best to chew raw Neem leaves to reap their medicinal properties. Make sure to thoroughly clean them before consumption.
Neem Leaves Water :
Boil a few Neem leaves in water till the leaves have begun to appear soft and water gradually turns deep green in color. Strain and store this water in a container. Drink this extract at least twice a day.
Neem Leaves Powder:
Mix 1 teaspoon of Neem powder with water and consume half an hour before lunch and dinner.
Best Time To Consume Neem Leaves
Eat it on an empty stomach early in the morning or before meals, once or twice a day for effective control of diabetes and for weight loss.
Risks of Over Consumption of Neem Leaves
In some rare cases, overconsumption of Neem leaves may cause your blood glucose levels to go too low. Hence, it is always best to monitor your blood glucose levels.
Other Health Benefits of Neem Leaves
Neem leaves, due to their therapeutic potential, are widely used as an effective medicine for a variety of ailments. Ayurveda uses Neem as a major ingredient in many medicinal products for the hair, skin, teeth, liver and kidney. Some of the benefits are given below:
- Cures acne
- Dental health
- Cures intestinal ulcers
- Removes dandruff
- Fights cancer
- Treats malaria
- Controls high blood pressure
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Neem leaves are rich in certain active compounds. These active compounds give Neem its antioxidant, anti-microbial, anti-parasitic, anti-diabetic, and wound-healing properties.
- If you are a diabetic patient, try to eat Neem leaves daily to control your blood glucose levels in its raw form, as a drink in hot water or even as a powder.
- In some rare cases, overconsumption of Neem leaves may cause your blood glucose levels to go too low.
- Neem leaves, due to their therapeutic potential, are widely used as an effective medicine for a variety of ailments. It cures acne, improves dental health, intestinal ulcers, fights cancer, controls high blood pressure etc.
- With the Phable Care app, you can consult a specialist physician to get your queries answered about adding Neem to your diet and how to best manage your blood sugar levels.
The presence of certain compounds in Neem has been proven to reduce blood sugar levels, in turn protecting the patients from health problems caused due to diabetes.
Patients undergoing any kind of surgery are highly recommended not to use Neem as it might lower blood sugar levels, which may obstruct the surgery.
Drinking Neem water daily will improve your gut health and aids in weight loss.
Yes, giving Neem concoction once a week will improve the overall health of children.
Taking 3-5 Neem Leaves per day will help you to control diabetes effectively.