Jeera is a staple ingredient in our spice cupboards and has been used for centuries to add flavour to Indian cooking. It is known for having medicinal properties, but does it help you lose weight? In this article, we’ll find out if drinking jeera water for weight loss is helpful, how to make it, the best time for drinking jeera water, and more!
Jeera or Cumin: Nutritional Profile
Jeera, or Cumin as it is called in English, is a fantastic source of nutrients like iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamins A & C, and other antioxidants.
The following is the nutritional information for 100 grams of Jeera
What are the Benefits of Jeera Water for Weight Loss?
Jeera is alkaline in nature and has been used as a household remedy for acidity and indigestion for ages. It helps offset the excess acid produced in your stomach and prevents hunger pangs.
Improves Digestion and Reduces Bloating
Jeera helps increase the activity of digestive enzymes in your gut and induces bile secretion from your liver, thus improving digestion. It also helps expel gas from your intestines which relieves stomach bloating. A healthy digestive system can help you lose weight.
Kick Starts Your Metabolism
Jeera contains many phytonutrients that have antioxidant properties. Antioxidants help your body get rid of free radicals and other toxins which can damage your cells and slow down metabolism. An active metabolism helps you shed weight, which is why jeera water is good for weight loss.
Reduces Inflammation and Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
Studies have shown that cumin can help decrease chronic inflammation in your body. It also helps improve insulin sensitivity and insulin production, which helps lower your blood sugar levels. Stable blood sugar levels can prevent snacking and food cravings.
How Can You Make and Drink Jeera Water for Weight Loss?
You can make Jeera water by adding one or two teaspoons (5 to 10 grams) of Jeera to around 250 to 300 millilitres of water and leaving them to soak overnight. Drink this water on an empty stomach in the morning for the best results.
Alternatively, you can boil about 10 to 15 grams of jeera in about 300 millilitres of water till the water is reduced to almost half of its previous quantity. Let this concoction cool down and drink it as is or with some honey.
What is the Best Time to Drink Jeera Water for Weight Loss?
The best time to drink Jeera water would be on an empty stomach in the morning to boost your metabolism. You can also have a glass of it after lunch or dinner to improve digestion and promote fullness.
Are There Any Side Effects of Drinking Too Much Cumin Water for Weight Loss?
1. It Could Cause Heartburn or Belching in Some People
Cumin is well-known for its carminative properties, i.e. it helps expel gas from your intestines. But in some people who have acidity or GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease), it can cause the gas to move upward, resulting in chest pain, heartburn or frequent belching.
2. It can Lower Your Blood Sugar Levels
Jeera water helps increase insulin production from your pancreas and lower insulin resistance in your cells, which results in lowered blood sugar levels. Hence drinking jeera water is beneficial if you have diabetes.
3. It May be Unsafe to Consume During Pregnancy
In folk medicine, Jeera is usually used to induce abortion in women. Consuming too much cumin or jeera water is associated with the increased risk of complications like preterm labour in pregnant women, as cumin can cause abdominal muscle contractions.
What Other Health Benefits Does Jeera Have?
- It is rich in iron and can help combat iron deficiency (anaemia).
- It can lower cholesterol levels.
- It is rich in antioxidants.
- It has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties, which can prevent food poisoning.
- It can reduce inflammation.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Jeera is a household spice rich in iron, vitamin A & C, essential minerals, and antioxidants.
- Jeera water helps in weight loss by neutralising stomach acid, improving digestion, boosting your metabolism, and stabilising your blood sugar levels.
- You can make jeera water by soaking 5 to 10 grams of jeera in a glass of water overnight.
- The best time to drink jeera water for weight loss is on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Drinking too much jeera water can cause problems such as heartburn and belching in people with gastric issues, low blood sugar levels in people with diabetes and may cause preterm labour and other complications in pregnant women.
- Jeera has other health benefits like high iron and antioxidant levels, anti-septic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Jeera may also help in lowering cholesterol levels.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
You can drink jeera water once or twice a day for inducing weight loss; in the morning on an empty stomach, and once again after lunch or before bed to aid digestion.
You can lose about one to two kilos by drinking jeera water every day for a few months, but you will have to supplement it with changes to your diet and regular exercise for the best results.
Yes, jeera water can be safely consumed up to 3 to 4 times daily. However, avoid consuming jeera and jeera water if you are pregnant or taking medication for diabetes.
Drinking jeera water on an empty stomach can boost your metabolism, promote weight loss, ease digestion, relieve constipation, and lower your blood sugar levels.
Jeera is considered safe for consumption in most people, but should be avoided if you are pregnant, have had issues with heartburn in the past, or are taking diabetes medication.
Yes, you can make jeera water by boiling about 5 to 10 grams of jeera in 300 millilitres of water.