Don’t you love the idea of adding a dash of lemon to regular water to make it refreshing & tasty? If yes, the best part is you can do this all year round and not necessarily wait for any season! And this should come as no shock that lemon water, an age-old home remedy, used for improving overall health, might even help in losing weight. However, what does science say about lemon water for weight loss? Read on to find out!
What’s Inside A Glass of Lemon Water?
Lemon water (especially if it is just 1 glass) is not something that requires great effort. All you need to do is to squeeze one or some lemons in plain, fresh water. The number of lemons depends on the amount of sourness your taste buds are okay to deal with! However, make sure not to go overboard. You may have it hot/warm or cold and even add a few sprigs of mint, some drops of honey and a pinch of turmeric.
While lemon water is undoubtedly a deliciously healthy drink, talking about the calories in lemon water and its nutritional content, it will all depend on the amount of lemon juice your glass of lemon water contains. Lemons are a rich source of vitamin C and are powerful antioxidants, which may play a role in weight loss.
And now to answer ‘how to use lemon for weight loss?’, you will have to dig into the below mentioned benefits.
Lemon Water: Benefits for Weight Loss You Cannot Resist!
1. Low in Calories
Lemon water is a low-calorie drink that you can trade with other juices and sodas or soft drinks that are often high in calories. This can help you consume fewer calories and aid in weight loss. Studies suggest that accompanying low-calorie drinks with a meal may support your weight loss efforts by reducing your overall calorie intake during the meal.
2. May Boost Metabolism
Since lemon water is primarily just a lot of plain water, it may help boost your metabolism. This is because studies suggest that drinking enough water may help boost your body’s metabolism and further aid in weight loss. It works by amping up thermogenesis, a process where calories are burnt to produce heat, helping your body use more calories and lose weight. So, if you are someone that finds drinking water boring, adding some lemon can give it some much-needed flavour while also upping your water intake.
3. Promote the Feeling of Fullness
Drinking enough water is often considered a basic addition to any weight loss routine. This is because drinking water can make you feel fuller and satiated, reducing your calorie intake. Lemon water is also low in calories so it will not add up to your calorie intake either.
4. Promotes Hydration
Remember, hydration is the key to good health! Keeping yourself hydrated can help improve your digestion which plays a crucial role in maintaining your body weight. It can also help boost your physical activity and reinforce your weight loss efforts during exercise.
How to Drink Lemon Water for Weight Loss? Know Now!
We have also got you covered on how to make lemon water for weight loss. All you need to do is squeeze half a lemon in about 235 ml of warm, hot or cold water, as per your preference. You can amp up the flavour and health points by including:
Tips to Have Lemon Water in Different Ways
There are multiple ways to add lemon water to your diet. These include:
- Preparing ice cubes using lemon juice. You can use these ice cubes in water, tea or any other beverage you want to add a tangy flavour to.
- Start your day with a glass of warm lemon water. You can make it fresh every morning, or prepare it the previous day and keep it ready in your fridge.
- Avoid adding sugar, salt or sugar syrups to your lemon water as these ingredients may increase the calorie content.
What is “THE BEST TIME” to Drink Lemon Water for Weight Loss?
If your ultimate goal is to lose weight, adding lemon water or lemon tea for weight loss to your diet might come in handy. It is advisable to drink it before or along with a meal as this may reduce your calorie intake during the meal. It decreases your hunger and promotes the feeling of fullness and satiety, thus helping you eat less and further boosting weight loss.
Look Out! You Might Be Having Too Much Lemon Water!
Though generally safe for drinking, there may be some side effects of having lemon water that you ought to be aware of.
- Lemons are a rich source of citric acid, which may damage the enamel on your teeth and cause cavities if consumed over a long time. You can use a straw to reduce the risk to your teeth and also rinse your mouth with water after consuming lemon juice.
- Some citrus fruits may increase the production of gastric acid in the stomach which may cause digestive issues like heartburn or acid reflux in some people.
Do Lemons and Lemon Water Have Other Health Benefits Too?
Apart from weight loss, some of the other health benefits of having lemons and lemon water include:
- It reduces your risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- Vitamin C can strengthen your immunity and help your body fight infections.
- Vitamin C promotes the absorption of iron in your gut, thus helping in preventing iron-deficiency anaemia.
- The antioxidants in lemons can help maintain healthy blood pressure levels, protect your cells from oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals.
- The flavonoids in lemons can help regulate your blood sugar levels, which makes them a valuable addition to a diabetic diet.
- The citric acid in lemons can help prevent the formation of kidney stones and development of gout.
- Some studies suggest that the antioxidants and plant compounds (like limonene) in lemons can help reduce your risk of developing several types of cancer.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Squeeze a lemon in half a glass of water and sip on refreshing health. Lemon water, being low in calories and a rich source of vitamin C, is highly beneficial for overall health.
- It can aid in weight loss as it is low in calories, promotes the feeling of fullness and hydration and may boost metabolism. Have it hot or cold, and infuse more flavour by adding a few sprigs of mint, a teaspoon of maple syrup or raw honey, a slice of fresh ginger, a dash of cinnamon or a sprinkle of turmeric powder.
- While on a weight loss diet, drink lemon water before or along with a meal to reduce your calorie intake during the meal.
- Make sure not to drink too much as it may erode tooth enamel and may cause heartburn in some individuals.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
The answer to this question is a maybe. Lemon water is a great addition to your weight loss routine. Following a healthy balanced diet and indulging in regular physical activities may help amp up your weight loss efforts and may even help reduce abdominal belly fat, but do keep in mind that no one food can help you lose fat from one particular area of your body.
Though most people like starting their day by drinking lemon water on an empty stomach to lose weight, you can enjoy this healthful refreshing beverage at any time of the day. Also, to lose weight, having a glass of lemon water before or during a meal may reduce your urge to eat more. This helps in reducing your calorie intake and thus helps manage your weight.
The amount of weight you can lose with lemon water depends on several factors like:
- The way you drink your lemon water. Adding loads of sugar or honey to your lemon water won’t help you lose weight, as it will just increase your calorie intake.
- When you drink your lemon water. Drinking lemon water instead of a glass of soda, milkshake or store-bought juice can help you lose weight by cutting down on the amount of sugar and calories you’re consuming. However, if you’re drinking lemon water after consuming these drinks, it is unlikely to have much effect.
- Your other food choices. Similar to your beverage choices, if you’re drinking lemon water with foods loaded with empty carbs like a slice of cheese-burst pizza or a plate of deep-fried chhole bhature, don’t expect lemon water to work wonders.
- Your activity levels. As several studies have shown, adding lemon water to a regular exercise routine can help you burn more calories than just drinking lemon water without any physical activity.
Drinking lemon water every day or even on a regular basis can improve your overall health in multiple ways. The first one is a boost in your weight loss regime. Other benefits include reduced risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, better immunity, controlled blood sugar levels, possible prevention from the formation of kidney stones, better absorption of iron, etc.
No, lemonade may not be good for losing weight as it contains added sugar content which can slow down or be an obstacle to your weight loss regime. However, lemon water which contains no added sugars can be great for weight loss.
Yes, possibly. Adding salt to your lemon water instead of sugar can help you cut down on extra and unnecessary calories, which can help prevent weight gain and be a good addition to your weight loss regime.
No, there is no evidence to prove that black coffee with lemon can be good for weight loss. However, black coffee can aid in weight loss as it is low in calories, may decrease your appetite and boost your metabolism.
Yes, chia seeds and lemon in water can be good for weight loss. Chia seeds are a rich source of soluble fibres that can help slow down digestion and promote the feeling of fullness. This can reduce your appetite and prevent hunger pangs, reducing your calorie intake and promoting weight loss.
Yes, honey in lemon water can be good for losing weight, but only when compared to lemon water that is sweetened with sugar. As honey still has a significant number of calories, it can become an obstacle to your weight loss journey if overused. Hence, if you are adding honey to your lemon water, make sure to limit the quantity you are adding to maintain a healthy body weight.
Yes. Drinking a glass of lemon water at night can help you feel full, which can help you cut down on midnight snacking. This can help you keep your weight in check.
Yes, lemon water helps in effective weight loss as it reduces your calorie intake by promoting satiety and fullness. Lemon water is a low-calorie drink which can help boost your metabolism to amp up the weight loss process. You can have lemon water for weight loss by adding a few sprigs of mint, a slice of fresh ginger or a dash of turmeric or cinnamon to enhance the flavour.