Losing weight is a challenging and rewarding task at the same time. However, even those who diligently follow their diet and workout plans while at home and in their normal routine tend to go off track during occasions such as travel or festivals. Don’t fret, we have your back. Here are a few tips that will help you stay fit during such times.
Why Is it Important to Maintain an Ideal Weight?
Carrying excess body weight can detrimentally affect every system in your body. It can increase the risk of chronic conditions such as Type 2 Diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and stroke. Those who maintain an ideal body weight tend to be healthier and have a better quality of your life.
Though nowadays more individuals are turning towards a healthy lifestyle, it is often not easy to maintain a diet or workout regime regularly, especially with disruptions in your normal routine during occasions such as travel or festivals.
Read on to know a few tips that will help you watch your weight during travel and festivals.
Tips to Watch Your Weight During Travel
Research on the Local Cuisines
Before you travel, make sure that you research the local cuisines and the best-rated restaurants in the city that you are visiting. This will help you plan your daily diet in order to keep your calorie intake in check while you are travelling. This can help you avoid sudden and impulsive decisions that may lead to poor food choices.
Make sure not to overindulge in unhealthy snacks as they are often high in calories. You may find yourself reaching out for whatever snacks you can find in moments of extreme tiredness and hunger during activities such as sightseeing.
It is always advisable to pack some healthy snacks such as fruits, nuts, or homemade granola bars at all times to keep temptations at bay.
Ask For Half Portions at Restaurants
As you depend on restaurants for food while travelling make sure that you eat smaller portions. Restaurants often serve large portions where you end up eating more than what you need. One way to avoid this is to ask for half portions or take away half of the food that you order. This will help you avoid overeating.
Get Enough Sleep
Getting enough sleep plays an important role in maintaining a good metabolic rate and aids in weight loss. While travelling, make sure that you get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every day. Individuals who are sleep-deprived often find it difficult to lose weight as it interferes with the normal functioning of the body.
Tips to Watch Your Weight During Festivals
Prepare Healthier Versions of Sweets and Savouries
During festivals, you can still enjoy your favourite snacks and desserts by making healthier versions of them. Use less oil for snacks and make sure to limit the use of refined sugar while preparing sweets.
While cooking, try baking, roasting, or air-frying instead of deep frying. For sweet food items, replace refined sugar with lesser quantities of honey or jaggery, use naturally sweetening agents like fruits, or opt for artificial sweeteners. Also, avoid refined/processed carbs and opt for more whole-grain foods.
Control Your Portion Size
Come festivals and you are ready to try all those dishes you don’t allow yourself to enjoy in your everyday life. But heavy feasting can turn out to be problematic while you are trying to keep a check on your weight. It can add on to your calorie and carbohydrate intake. Therefore, make sure you control your portion size and eat rich foods in moderation.
Avoid Liquid Calories
Liquid calories are a sneaky aspect, something that you need to be cautious about. During festivities, you often tend to consume sugary beverages in the form of fruit juices and aerated or alcoholic drinks. To keep a check on your calories you can go for fruit juices without added sugar, herbal teas or plain drinking water.
Fulfilling all the chores during festivals can get tiring and stressful. You may also end up eating more than usual when under stress. It is important to set aside 10 to 20 minutes for self-care in between your busy schedule. You can practise techniques such as deep breathing or meditation to relax yourself.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Travel and vacations are times when you tend to relax and your daily routine gets disrupted. During these times, you need to keep certain tips in mind in order to stay fit and keep your weight under check.
- While travelling, make sure to research the local cuisines and plan your daily diet well in advance. Choose healthy snacks while outside and ask for half portions while dining at restaurants. Also, make sure that you get enough sleep as sleep deprivation can interfere with weight loss.
- While enjoying festivals, some simple measures will help you prevent weight gain. You can prepare healthier versions of your snacks and savouries and have them guilt-free.
- Make sure that you have smaller portions of rich foods and avoid liquid calories. Avoid sugary beverages and alcoholic drinks. You can go for fruit juices without added sugar, herbal teas or plain drinking water.
- It’s normal to get stressed with the added chores during festivals. Stress-eating can also derail your weight loss plans. Therefore, make sure you take measures to manage stress and give yourself 15 to 20 minutes daily for self-care.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
It’s normal that you tend to binge on unhealthy food while travelling. Taking small measures will help you eat healthy. Avoid packed snacks as they are generally high in calories and can lead to weight gain. Carry fruits, nuts, and homemade granola bars while on the go. While dining at restaurants, you can go for roasted or grilled food instead of fried versions. Ask for half portions at restaurants or pack away the half you cannot eat.
Following a few easy tips can help you stay active during your travel. Try to explore the city on foot, use stairs wherever possible, and check out the local parks and trails by walking. This will make up for your daily dose of exercise and help you burn enough calories for the day.
It is definitely hard to follow a healthy diet while you are away from home. Try to avoid fast food as much as possible while you are travelling. Though it is not an easy task, it is not impossible. Try to replace fried and processed food with plant-based food and whole foods that are low in calories. You can snack on nuts, crackers, granola bars or trail mixes which are healthier options compared to packed snacks.
While preparing your festival feast you can go for healthier versions of your favourite dishes by opting for less oil for cooking savouries and using less amount of refined sugar in your desserts. Also, avoid refined/processed carbs and opt for more whole-grain foods. This can cut down on your calories and help you manage your weight.