COVID-19 has affected the way we think, act and feel. In every few months, different variants are emerging from several countries and raising the deepest concern in each mind that whether we will ever be free from COVID-19. There are many questions still unanswered about all the variants and the age group it infects. Research is still ongoing and based on the data, scientists across the world are developing newer vaccines to counteract the effect of the virus.
The most susceptible age groups that are the cause of concern are the elderly and the children. Let’s read on to understand about the infectivity of COVID-19 in children and the precautions that are needed so that our children do not get affected.
- Why Should Children Get Vaccinated?
- What COVID-19 Vaccine Should Children Take?
- How To Book COVID-19 Vaccines For Kids?
- Common FAQs
About 50% of adults in India are vaccinated but what about children? This article will give you an insight on how you need to book a COVID vaccine for your child as well as necessary precautions to be taken? Can COVID-19 vaccine prevent children from getting Omicron?
Let’s Find Out !!
Why Should Children Get Vaccinated?
Of course, you wouldn’t want your child to get infected by COVID-19. But what’s interesting is, we need to understand that the only way we can fight this virus is by getting vaccinated.
Kids will be kids, as in, social distancing can be a hassle for kids to understand and follow. Thus, vaccination can at least lower the transmission rate of COVID-19 and its variants.
What COVID-19 Vaccine Should Children Take?
Children in India between 15 to 18 years of age are subjected to 2 doses of Covaxin, each of which must be only 0.5 ml. Also, the Indian Government issued a circular stating that children born in 2007 or before must be vaccinated from January 3, 2022 and the second dose must be taken 28 days after the first shot.
How To Book COVID-19 Vaccines For Kids?
The government has stated that vaccination centers must have separate schedules of vaccines for adults and kids. Also, every school must convert 3 spacious classrooms into vaccine centers. Schools must allot vaccination dates and vaccines for children.
Here is how you book a COVID-19 vaccination slot for your child:
- Register on the Co-WIN app or Arogya Setu app using your parents mobile number/ your personal mobile number.
- You can also walk into any government hospital or private vaccinator and produce any government document (Aadhaar card OR Passport). Make sure you carry your student Identity card too.
- In case you have booked an appointment, then show the vaccinator a screenshot of the appointment and produce an Aadhaar card and school ID card.
COVID Precautions Parents Must Teach Children
- Teach kids to frequently wash their hands and feet with soap and water every time they come in after playing games.
- Teach your child the importance of social distancing and how it saves them from getting affected.
- Do not exhale fear in what you preach. Be positive in your approach every time your child asks you about COVID-19 or its other variants. Tell them not to worry as researchers and scientists are working on finding a cure for it soon.
- Create an indoor playground at home to avoid your child developing the fear of missing out (FOMO) on playing games.
- Teach your child the importance of face masks and how and when they need to be worn.
- Teach your kid the importance of hygiene. This includes, frequent washing of hands before and after using the bathroom, playing sports, riding or drinking.