Palm Sugar: Nutritional Profile
Palm sugar for diabetes is a healthier alternative to regular sugar with a low glycemic index score of 35. It contains fewer calories than sucrose or regular sugar and is produced from the sap in coconut palm trees, with no added chemicals. As it is unrefined, it contains numerous health benefits and has a good source of copper, zinc, iron, manganese, and potassium.
One tablespoon of palm sugar contains 54 calories, 0 grams protein, 0 grams fat, 15 grams carbohydrates, 0 grams fiber, 15 grams sugar.
Palm jaggery glycemic index score is 41, which makes it appropriate for diabetes too. However, it should be consumed in moderation as it is high in sugar.
Advantages of Palm Sugar for Diabetes
As per a study, palm sugar is a promising ingredient for people with type 2 diabetes in managing their blood sugar levels. As palm sugar consists of less glucose and a low glycemic index, it is easy on the heart and regulates blood sugar. It does not rapidly spike up or crash the energy level.
For women with type 2 diabetes, insulin content is said to be beneficial in controlling blood sugar and enhancing antioxidant status. This further protects the body from diseases, infections, and damages.
Another study demonstrates that fermentable carbohydrates may enhance insulin sensitivity. Moreover, it might have great metabolic effects for people at high risk of diabetes.
Ways to Consume Palm Sugar
Since palm sugar has an earthy flavor, the best way to consume it is in tea and coffee. It works brilliantly in homemade baking recipes with dark chocolate. One can sprinkle it on pancakes and waffles for additional flavor. They’re popularly used in Asian cooking for balancing out flavors with curries, chicken, and fish.
Best Time to Consume Palm Sugar
Since coconut palm sugar is often used in place of white sugar, it can be consumed at any time during the day. The only thing to keep in mind is to closely regulate the amount of palm sugar you add to your diet.
Risks of Over Consumption of Palm Sugar
Palm sugar consists of high fructose that can cause a significant rise in blood sugar levels. Despite being a healthier ingredient, if consumed excessively can lead to:
- metabolic syndrome
- severe diabetes
- heart disease.
- unwanted weight gain, which can intensify issues for those with obesity and diabetes.
- tooth decay and gum infections.
Other Health Benefits of Palm Sugar
- Palm sugar’s health benefits are plenty as it is rich in iron and magnesium.
- Palm jaggery has high nutritious value and anti-oxidant properties.
- It separates the fetus from negative health effects, due to which it is highly recommended to women in the seventh month of pregnancy to provide relief.
- It’s a natural remedy for migraines, colds, and cough when consumed with hot beverages.
- It improves digestion and cleanses the system.
- Being high in calcium reduces joint pains such as arthritis and acts as an energy booster.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- For diabetes, any form of sugar is bad sugar. It is best to limit your consumption to avoid any severe consequences or risk of developing obesity or chronic diseases.
- Although palm sugar has a low glycemic index and is the most suitable alternative to other sweeteners, moderation is always the key.
- It is a promising ingredient for diabetes as it is low in glucose and glycemic index, making it easier on the heart and blood sugar.
- Palm sugar has a generally earthy flavour and is usually best in tea, coffee or at home healthy baking experiments.
- There is no best time to consume this, and is rather used throughout the day, like any sweetener.
- Palms sugar does contain high fructose, which can negatively affect your blood sugar.
- This is why it’s important to avoid overconsumption, as it can lead to metabolic syndrome, obesity, severe diabetes, unwanted weight gain, heart disease, but not the weight,
- The other benefits of coconut palm sugar includes:
- It is a great nutritional supplement
- It can help the pregnant mother in her gestational functions
- It’s a great natural remedy for colds and headaches.
- It can also improve digestion, clarity and improves pains like arthritis.
Palm sugar has comparatively better nutrition and is less likely to raise your blood sugar than white sugar. But no matter the benefits, Diabetic people need to monitor their sugar intake, regardless of the category they belong to. High consumption of sugar can lead to high blood sugar levels.
Palm sugar is a comparatively healthier option than refined sugar as it consists of less glucose and a low glycemic index.
Palm sugar has a low glycemic index. It does not add as much strain to the heart as sugar or other sweeteners and stabilizes the blood sugar levels.
You can consume normal sugar as according to American Diabetes Association, it contains the same amount of carbs and calories.
Stevia is renowned as the healthiest sugar.
Coconut sugar is noted to be a healthier option than palm sugar as it contains more minerals, iron, and zinc. There’s also a difference in their flavors, as coconut sugar offers a caramel-like taste whereas palm sugar has a smoky aroma.
They both are natural sweeteners but are, however, different. Jaggery is a concentration of dates, palm sap without removing the molasses. Palm sugar is created from different palm trees.