Red wine is said to support cardiovascular health and prevent cholesterol. But can diabetics drink wine? If so, which wine is best for diabetes control?
Wine is an alcoholic beverage. There are a lot of different varieties of wine. Among those, red wine is said to be a healthier option. Let us see, what are the health benefits of wine and if wine is a good option for patients with diabetes? Read in detail about wine and diabetes.
Wine: Nutritional Profile
Wine is an alcoholic drink mostly made of fermented grapes, where the sugar in the fruit is converted into alcohol by yeast. They are of different types such as white and red wine. Let;s find out about red wine and its benefits for diabetics.
100 ml of red wine contains the following nutrition:
|Total Fat: 0 g
|Saturated Fat: 0 g
|Polyunsaturated Fat: 0 g
|Monounsaturated Fat: 0 g
|Vitamin C: 0 mg
|Cholesterol: 0 mg
|Sodium: 4 mg
|Total Carbohydrates: 2.59 g
|Dietary Fiber: 0 g
|Calcium: 8 mg
|Iron: .46 mg
|Potassium: 126 mg
|Vitamin A: 0 mcg
Red wine contains a good source of fluoride, manganese, potassium, iron, vitamin B6, vitamin B2, Phosphorus, and choline.
Advantages of Wine For Diabetes
- It is rich in antioxidants
- It also helps increase the level of good cholesterol in the body while decreasing the level of bad cholesterol.
- It lowers the blood sugar level
- It also helps in prevention of cardiovascular diseases in diabetes.
Ways to Consume Wine For Diabetes
1. Do Not Drink Wine On Empty Stomach
Red wine is said to reduce blood sugar levels provided it is consumed in moderation. Avoid drinking wine on an empty stomach as it contains alcohol and can trigger blood sugar spikes.
2. Monitor Blood Sugar Level
Initially, it is important to figure out how your body will react to alcohol. It is recommended that one must check their blood sugar level before consuming alcohol and one or two hours after drinking to see its effect.
3. Consult A Doctor
Red wine is best suited for people suffering from type 2 diabetes. It prevents blood sugar spikes and high cholesterol. Infact, red is heart friendly. If you are a diabetic, 50 ml of red wine would do you good daily. Also, consume it in limited quantities and intimate your doctor about the same.
Best Time To Consume Wine For Diabetes
Usually, wine is preferred to be consumed at night, but the best way to consume it is to accompany it with a healthy diabetic meal.
Risks of Over Consuming Wine For Diabetes
- Large amounts of wine can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and other serious health problems.
- It can also cause trouble while walking, blackouts, and seizures.
- It can lead to dependence on alcohol, mental problems, pancreatic disease, liver problems, and certain types of cancer.
Other Health Benefits of Wine For Diabetes
- It has weight loss properties if consumed in moderation and accompanied with healthy food.
- The ingredient named resveratrol in red wine helps in preventing blood clots and protects nerve cells (Alzheimer’s disease).
- It also helps avoid metabolic syndrome, which not only contributes to diabetes but also to stroke and heart disease.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Wines, especially red dry wine, are low on carbs and fats and are rich in antioxidants, minerals, resveratrol, and polyphenols.
- They are rich in antioxidants and increase the production of good cholesterol in the body.
- Wines are best consumed with care and must always be consumed with healthy food.
- Large amounts can cause vomiting, diarrhea, dependence on alcohol, mental problems, problems with the liver and pancreas, and certain types of cancer.
- They also help avoid metabolic disease and can promote weight loss.
- Use Phable Care App to consult India’s leading diabetologists, order medicines, book lab tests, integrate Accu-Chek instant and other devices to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Let’s treat diabetes together.
Friendly Asked Questions
Yes, wines are full of antioxidants and polyphenols and are associated with numerous health benefits such as an increase in good cholesterol or HDL levels, reduced risk of heart disease, etc. Just remember moderation is key.
Red wine is the best wine for diabetes. It also helps improve heart health and manage cholesterol levels better among type 2 diabetics.
The exact amount of sugar differs from the type of wine. Take for instance, red or white wine might contain around 2 grams of sugar per glass.
Wines that are described as dry and sparkling wines have the least amount of sugar. Also, consider wine with a low alcohol rate, as alcohol in the wine is derived from fermenting sugar.
Red wine is said to be a more acceptable form of wine for diabetes. It is said to contain more minerals and antioxidants from the skin of the grapes.
YES, a glass of red wine with healthy food is said to lower blood sugar levels and improve cholesterol levels. The consumption must be in moderation, and alcohol must not be consumed if there is any other underlying disease.