Living with diabetes, hypertension or any other chronic disease requires you to do multiple things – track vitals, take medicines & stay on top of your health at all times. If this overwhelms you, switch to Phable – India’s No. 1 BP & Sugar Management App to manage your condition better. Take charge of your health and stay connected with doctors, order medicines and do a whole lot more from the comfort of your home.
Do you know the benefits of apple cider vinegar? If you’ve ever been online in the past five years, then you surely must. The nutrition gurus and diet experts swear by the multiple health benefits of apple cider vinegar. However, the question is – Is apple cider vinegar (ACV) for PCOS effective? Read on to find out how ACV benefits women with PCOS, how to have it and if there is any risk of overconsumption.
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is a fermented drink prepared by adding yeast to apple juice, which converts the natural sugars present in apples into alcohol. In the second step, the alcohol is further fermented with bacteria to form vinegar.
Apple is already known to be a healthy and nutritious fruit, its product apple cider vinegar is no less in that matter. It has been used in cooking and in folk medicine for centuries. Read further to know more about apple cider vinegar & benefits for PCOS.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Nutritional Profile
Apple cider vinegar has very few macronutrients and calories. It has minor amounts of micronutrients like potassium. The main health benefits of apple cider vinegar come from its flavonoids, which have potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antidiabetic properties.
The following is the nutritional profile of 100 g of cider vinegar according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
|Total Lipids (Fat)
Is Apple Cider Vinegar Good for PCOS? What are the Benefits?
Yes, apple cider vinegar can be a good drink for PCOS. This is due to its many health benefits, including the following:
1. Improves Hormonal Balance
Some studies have shown that apple cider vinegar can improve the balance of hormones such as insulin, which is responsible for androgen (male hormone) production in your body. This is the main driver of the symptoms of PCOS.
Apple cider vinegar balances insulin production in your body by stabilising your blood sugar levels and improving insulin sensitivity in your cells. This leads to reduced insulin, and in turn, reduced androgen hormone production, which helps relieve the symptoms of PCOS.
2. May Help in Weight Loss
Most women with PCOS experience weight gain as a common symptom of PCOS due to the increased production of androgens and insulin resistance. Therefore, it is important for women with PCOS to keep a track of their food intake and physical activity levels to prevent sudden weight gain. Apple cider vinegar boosts the weight loss process by boosting your metabolism and suppressing your appetite which reduces your calorie intake and promotes weight loss.
3. May Help Control Blood Sugar Levels
If you have PCOS, you are at a higher risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes due to increased insulin resistance, which is common in this condition. Though the best way to control your blood sugar levels is by regulating the number of carbohydrates you consume, apple cider vinegar may have a positive effect too. Multiple studies suggest that regular consumption of apple cider vinegar may improve insulin sensitivity and stabilise your blood sugar levels by slowing down the absorption of sugar from your gut into your bloodstream.
What is the Best Time to Drink Apple Cider Vinegar for PCOS?
Some studies suggest that taking apple cider vinegar before bedtime may help lower and stabilise fasting and morning blood sugar levels in people with Type 2 Diabetes. Hence, it may be beneficial for women with Type 2 Diabetes in PCOS.
If consuming apple cider vinegar for weight loss in PCOS, try to take it earlier in the morning i.e., before or during breakfast.
How to Take Apple Cider Vinegar for PCOS?
The best way to take apple cider vinegar for PCOS is by diluting 1 to 2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) of it with 1 cup of water to reap the maximum benefits. Another way to enjoy its benefits is by adding it to a salad as a dressing or as a marinade for vegetables and meat, which is an easier way to consume apple cider vinegar.
You should limit your consumption of apple cider vinegar to not more than 2 tablespoons (30 ml) per day, and make sure to always consume it in a diluted form.
Risks of Overconsumption of Apple Cider Vinegar in PCOS
Everything when consumed in moderation is beneficial whereas overconsumption may lead to certain side effects. The same goes for apple cider vinegar. Some of the risks of overconsumption of apple cider vinegar in PCOS include:
- Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and it is mostly made up of acetic acid. Too much of it may weaken your dental enamel and may even lead to tooth decay.
- Apple cider vinegar may help reduce appetite to promote weight loss. However, it may also cause digestive problems such as nausea if consumed in excess.
- It can interfere with certain drugs such as laxatives, diuretics, and insulin. It is best to consult your doctor if you are on medication and before adding apple cider vinegar to your diet.
- If you have existing low levels of potassium in your blood, it is best to avoid any consumption of apple cider vinegar. It can further decrease potassium levels and also worsen kidney diseases.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Apple cider vinegar is a drink prepared by fermenting apple juice. It has been used in cooking and in medicine for centuries.
- Apple cider vinegar can be a good drink for PCOS as it can help improve hormonal balance (especially insulin), reduce insulin resistance in your cells, may help in weight loss and help control blood sugar levels.
- If you have PCOS, you can consume apple cider vinegar at night before going to bed or before having breakfast in the morning.
- The best way to take apple cider vinegar for PCOS is by diluting 1 to 2 tablespoons of it with 1 cup of water. You can also add it to salads as a dressing or as a marinade for vegetables and meat.
- You should limit your consumption of apple cider vinegar to not more than 2 tablespoons (30 ml) per day to avoid any side effects like enamel erosion, tooth decay, digestive problems such as nausea, interference with certain drugs such as laxatives, diuretics, and insulin and low potassium levels.
- Start your PCOS management journey with Phable. Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading gynaecologists, endocrinologists, nutritionists, and dieticians; order medicines; book lab tests; and get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a PCOS Management program that provides 360º care.
Friendly Asked Questions
Apple cider vinegar may help balance female hormones. Some studies have suggested that apple cider vinegar can help regulate oestrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels in women, but more research is needed to confirm this claim and establish its benefits.
Yes, you can drink apple cider vinegar during periods, but do so in moderation to avoid any side effects. Before you drink ACV for regulating your menstrual cycle, be aware that there is no research or evidence that suggests there are any benefits of apple cider vinegar for irregular periods. It may, however, be helpful in relieving period symptoms like cramps, bloating and irritability.
There is no scientific evidence or research to suggest that apple cider vinegar can help shrink ovarian cysts. Hence, if you want to consume apple cider vinegar for ovarian cysts, consult your doctor beforehand.
Studies suggest that apple cider vinegar may be good for cystic acne as it contains acetic acid, lactic acid, etc. which are common ingredients in skincare products. However, consuming or applying apple cider vinegar may do more harm to your skin than good. So, it is best to dilute it before using and a must to consider consulting a doctor before making any changes to your skincare routine.
Yes, apple cider vinegar for PCOS patients can be a good home remedy as it may help improve the symptoms of PCOS. This includes weight loss and improved insulin sensitivity in your cells, leading to better control of blood sugar levels and reduced production of insulin.