Living with diabetes, hypertension or any other chronic disease requires you to do multiple things – track vitals, take medicines & stay on top of your health at all times. If this overwhelms you, switch to Phable – India’s No. 1 BP & Sugar Management App to manage your condition better. Take charge of your health and stay connected with doctors, order medicines and do a whole lot more from the comfort of your home.
Carom seeds, or ajwain as we know them, have been used in traditional Indian medicine and cuisine for a long time. You probably see your mom or grandma reach for some ajwain whenever you complain of an upset stomach. But are there any benefits of carom seeds for periods? Can ajwain help with the irregular periods that are oh-so-common in PCOS? Let’s find out if the myth of carom seeds inducing periods has any basis in fact!
Do You Know What Carom Seeds Are?
Carom seeds are also referred to by the names ajwain or ajowan. It is one of the customary spices used in Indian cooking, derived from the plant Trachyspermum ammi.
Carom seeds have a pungent and bitter taste. Some people often confuse carom seeds for cumin seeds due to their similar appearance, but they both have very different flavour profiles.
|Did You Know? People often think of ajwain as seeds, but they are in fact fruits! That’s right, carom “seeds” are actually a type of small, dry fruits that are known as schizocarps.
Carom seeds can be used in both whole and powdered forms. They have been linked with multiple health benefits due to the high content of vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants present in them. They have been long used in traditional Indian medicine, but do carom seeds benefit irregular periods in PCOS? Read further to know more!
Carom Seeds for Periods in PCOS: Fact or Fad??
Though the collective wisdom of Indian mothers and grandmothers might say that carom seeds can induce periods and ease menstrual cramps, there is no hard scientific evidence to prove these claims.
Carom seeds, however, do come with numerous health benefits, one of which could be relieving bloating and easing abdominal pain. This could help alleviate digestive issues and discomfort during menstruation.
How to Use Carom Seeds for Irregular Periods in PCOS?
As there is a lack of scientific evidence to prove that carom seeds or ajwain for periods in PCOS is effective, it is best to consult with your doctor before taking them. Though beneficial for your overall health, it is best not to experiment with your PCOS diet without consulting your doctor or nutritionist, as any undue dietary additions could worsen PCOS symptoms.
Are There Any Risks of Consumption of Carom Seeds?
It is best to limit your consumption of ajwain to about half to one teaspoon a day. Though safe to be consumed by most adults, carom seeds may cause some side effects when consumed in excess. Eating too much ajwain could cause nausea.
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, avoid consuming carom seeds as studies suggest that certain compounds in carom seeds can potentially lead to birth defects or even miscarriage.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Carom Seeds?
As mentioned before, carom seeds may benefit your health in various ways. These may include:
- Reducing the total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL or “bad” cholesterol levels in your blood.
- Improving indigestion and bloating.
- Fighting infections caused by bacteria and fungi.
- Possibly reducing inflammation in your body.
- Possibly lowering blood pressure levels.
- Possibly providing relief from toothache and arthritis.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Carom seeds or ajwain is one of the customary spices in India. It is derived from the fruits of the plant Trachyspermum ammi, and has a pungent and bitter taste.
- Carom seeds have multiple health benefits due to their abundance of vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants.
- Though popular in Indian households as a remedy for inducing periods or reducing discomfort in periods, there is no scientific evidence to prove the same.
- Due to a lack of scientific evidence to prove that ajwain for periods in PCOS is effective, it is best to consult with your doctor before taking them to avoid any adverse health effects.
- Ajwain is thought to be safe for general consumption, however, pregnant and lactating women should check with their doctor before consuming it, as ajwain may potentially cause a miscarriage or birth defects.
- Some of the other health benefits of carom seeds include improved cholesterol levels in your blood, and reduced indigestion and bloating. It may also reduce body inflammation, blood pressure levels and provide relief from toothache and arthritis.
- Start your PCOS management journey with Phable. Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading gynaecologists, endocrinologists, nutritionists, and dieticians; order medicines; book lab tests; and get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a PCOS Management program that provides 360º care.
Friendly Asked Questions
People believe that carom seeds and some other specific food items can induce periods. However, there is no scientific backing to conclude that carom seeds or any other food can induce periods.
There is no scientific evidence which suggests that ajwain or carom seeds water can help induce periods or ease menstrual cramps. However, it may be helpful in relieving nausea, bloating and indigestion that some women may experience during periods.
Maybe. Sometimes, taking hormonal birth control pills can trigger an early period or delay it. However, it is important to note that birth control pills should only be taken when prescribed by a doctor. If you often experience irregular or delayed periods, consult a doctor at the earliest as changes in your menstrual cycle could be caused by underlying medical conditions. You can try to get your periods back on track by making some healthy lifestyle changes. Maintaining a healthy weight, eating a balanced diet, increasing physical exercise, managing stress effectively and getting sufficient sleep can all help regularise your periods.
There is no scientific evidence to prove if carom seeds for periods are an effective home remedy. So, it is best to consult your doctor if it is okay to take carom seeds for inducing your periods or easing cramps and other issues caused by your periods.