Coconut water, already a popular beverage in India, is now centre stage on the global health scene. But can coconut water aid in weight loss? Read to know.
Coconut water is the new global health trend. The world is slowly waking up to this hydrating and nutritious drink that Indians have known about and enjoyed for ages. A refreshing taste and tons of nutrients aside, are there any benefits of coconut water for weight loss? Can a diabetic patient drink coconut water? Let’s find out.
Coconut Water: Calories and Nutritional Content
Coconut water is a delicious and healthy drink all year round and especially for hot and humid weather. It provides multiple health benefits with the presence of carbohydrates in the form of sugars and electrolytes that your body can easily absorb.
The nutritional value of unflavoured and naturally obtained 100 g of coconut water is as follows:
|Content in 100 g
|0.2 g0.176 g0.008 g0.002 g
How is Coconut Water Good for Weight Loss?
Coconut water can be a good addition to your diet for weight loss. Natural and unsweetened coconut water contains minimal calories (45 calories in 1 cup), which makes it a great alternative to most sugary drinks that can cause weight gain.
If you are on a weight loss diet, drinking water and coconut water instead of sugary drinks can help you maintain a healthy weight, as coconut water will not add a lot of calories to your diet.
If you do not like the taste of plain water, you can drink coconut water to keep yourself hydrated. Being hydrated can make you feel full and reduce your appetite, which can also reduce your overall calorie intake and help with weight loss.
How to Consume Coconut Water for Weight Loss?
The best way to consume coconut water is fresh out of the coconut when it is 100% natural and no preservatives or sugars have been added to it.
You can also use coconut water in the following ways:
- Add coconut water to the fruits of your choice and blend to make a smoothie.
- Make lemonade with lemons and coconut water.
- Make frozen fruit popsicles with different fruits and coconut water.
- Cook the curries in your meal plans with coconut water instead of milk or cream.
- If you are buying packaged coconut water from a grocery store, read the label properly. Choose options that have 100% natural coconut water without any added sugars or preservatives.
How Much Coconut Water is Good for Weight Loss?
There are no set guidelines for how much coconut water you can drink in a day for weight loss. However, it does contain some amount of calories (45 calories in 1 cup), especially when compared to the same volume of water (which has zero calories). So, it is not advisable to keep drinking coconut water all day long for weight loss. You can drink 1 to 2 cups (1 cup is approximately 240 ml) of coconut water per day for weight loss.
What is the Best Time to Drink Coconut Water for Weight Loss?
Coconut water can be consumed at any time of the day or night. It can be enjoyed on an empty stomach or along with a meal.
For weight loss, the best time to drink coconut water is early in the morning. This is because coconut water contains lauric acid, which boosts your metabolism and promotes weight loss. You can even drink coconut water before and after your workout to boost your hydration.
What are the Risks of Overconsumption of Coconut Water?
Overconsumption of coconut water may result in some side effects including:
An Upset Stomach
If coconut water is taken in large amounts, it may cause bloating (fullness) and an upset stomach in some people.
High Potassium Levels
Coconut water is a good source of potassium. Thus, excessive intake of coconut water can cause potassium levels in the blood to rise. This can cause symptoms such as abdominal or chest pain, diarrhoea, heart palpitations, nausea, and vomiting.
Those with kidney problems may face severe health issues due to high blood potassium levels and should consult a healthcare provider about the consumption of coconut water.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Coconut Water?
- Because of electrolytes such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium, coconut water is a super hydrating beverage for people who indulge in regular physical activities, as it can compensate for the loss of electrolytes during heavy workout sessions.
- Studies suggest that the antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of coconut water can help improve overall skin health, including a reduction in acne and signs of ageing.
- Coconut water is a good source of magnesium, which may increase your sensitivity to insulin and decrease blood sugar levels in those with prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Drinking coconut water may decrease the risk of developing heart diseases. This is mainly because coconut water is high in potassium, which can help lower blood pressure levels.
- Studies suggest that coconut water may help prevent kidney stones by reducing crystal and stone formation in individuals.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Coconut water is a delicious drink with multiple health benefits.
- Pure coconut water contains very minimal calories which makes it a great alternative to most sugary drinks that can cause weight gain. Drinking coconut water instead of such drinks can help you maintain a healthy weight.
- The best way to consume coconut water is fresh out of coconut without preservatives or sugars. You can also add it to smoothies, lemonade, popsicles, or curries.
- It is advisable to limit yourself to 1 to 2 cups of coconut water per day for weight loss.
- The best time to drink coconut water for weight loss is early in the morning, as it boosts your metabolism and promotes weight loss.
- Overconsumption of coconut water may lead to an upset stomach and high blood potassium levels, which can cause abdominal pain, heart palpitations, and nausea.
- Coconut water has several other health benefits such as being a hydrating post-workout drink, improving skin health, decreasing blood sugar levels, reducing the risk of developing heart diseases, and preventing kidney stone formation.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Yes, coconut water can help in weight loss, when clubbed with a balanced diet and regular physical activity. It is low in calories and can be used for hydration in place of high-calorie sugary beverages. It can also suppress your appetite, leading to a reduced calorie intake and supporting weight loss.
No, coconut water does not increase your body weight when consumed in its natural form and within the recommended quantity of 1 to 2 cups in a day. Instead, it helps in weight loss due to its low-calorie content and hydrating nature.
No single food can reduce belly fat, which is usually a result of weight gain. In its natural form, coconut water is low in calories and hydrating in nature. Hence, it can support your weight loss efforts when combined with a balanced diet and exercise. When you lose weight, you may see a reduction in belly fat as well.
Yes, both tender coconut water and meat can help support weight loss. Studies suggest that the fats in coconut meat may promote the feeling of fullness and help burn fats and calories, leading to weight loss. The high fibre content of coconut meat can also boost fullness, which may help prevent overeating and support weight loss. However, coconut meat is calorie-rich and thus should be consumed in moderation.