It’s hard to avoid rice on your weight loss journey, isn’t it? Is there an alternative to it? Is brown rice good for weight loss? Let's find out.
A healthy weight reflects a healthy body and your diet plays a key role here. A lot of people must have told you to let go of rice on your weight loss journey. Do you need to give up on all forms of rice? Is brown rice good for weight loss? Read on to find out.
Nutritional Profile of Brown Rice
Here is the nutritional value of 100 g of cooked brown, medium-grain rice, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
|Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Benefits of Brown Rice in Weight Loss
It is said that people who eat brown rice weigh less! Is this a myth or a fact? Let’s see.
Yes, brown rice and weight loss can go hand-in-hand. It is an established fact supported by several studies. Brown rice is high in dietary fibre, which helps keep you full for a longer period. This prevents frequent snacking and overeating and reduces your overall calorie intake. You may eat less and thus maintain a healthy weight.
Replacing white rice with brown rice can make a difference in your weight. Studies also suggest that eating brown rice has shown significant changes in the waist circumference of some people.
How Much Brown Rice is Good for Weight Loss?
The best way to maintain your weight in a healthy range when eating rice is to have it in moderation. It is advisable to limit your consumption of rice to 1 cup (195 g) of cooked brown rice per day.
What is the Best Time to Eat Brown Rice for Weight Loss?
In order to lose weight, brown rice is best consumed during the day, for breakfast or lunch. Rice contains carbohydrates that will help you feel energised for the rest of the day. Moreover, you will have a few hours during the day to be active and burn the calories consumed so that they do not get stored as fat.
How to Eat Brown Rice for Weight Loss?
Brown rice is healthy but like all healthy things, you may feel like it is bland and boring. Here are a few ways you can enjoy brown rice.
- For weight loss, boil or steam brown rice instead of frying or cooking it in oil or fat.
- Pair brown rice with high-fibre vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, spinach etc. or lean protein sources such as chicken or turkey. This will ensure that you stay full for longer after eating rice, and do not overeat or snack unnecessarily.
- Use brown rice in your sushi rolls to increase the fibre content of your food.
- Replace white pasta with brown rice pasta.
- Use brown rice to make idli or dosa batter.
- When making rice puddings, use brown rice instead of white rice.
|Brown Rice Weight Loss Recipe
|Method of Preparation
|Brown Rice Khichdi
What are the Risks of Overconsumption of Brown Rice?
- Eating too much brown rice may cause bloating, gas, belching, and digestive distress in some people due to its high fibre content.
- Although brown rice is slower to affect your blood sugar levels when compared to white rice, it has a similar carbohydrate content to white rice, which, in excess amounts, can cause an elevation in your blood sugar levels and put you at higher risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Brown Rice?
Brown rice has the following health benefits:
- Brown rice contains several heart-healthy components such as minerals, antioxidants, lignans, and dietary fibre. Thus, when consumed in the recommended amounts, it can improve your blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of obesity, Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
- The bran or outer layer of brown rice may be a good source of lignans and ferulic acid, which are antioxidants with multiple health benefits such as reducing the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Gluten is a protein found in most staples like wheat, barley, and rye. Nowadays, more and more people are discovering that they are sensitive to gluten and are facing allergic reactions upon consumption of gluten products. Brown rice is gluten-free and is a healthy, nutrient-dense whole grain option for those sensitive to gluten.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Brown rice is whole grain rice with the bran and germ layer included. It is fibre-rich and a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, manganese, and vitamins B1, B3, and B6.
- Brown rice, a good source of nutrients and fibre, can help you feel full for longer and prevent overeating. Thus, brown rice can be a good addition to a balanced weight loss diet.
- It is best to limit your consumption of rice to 1 cup of cooked brown rice (195 g) per day.
- Having brown rice during the day can help you feel energised and give you a few hours during the day to burn the calories consumed.
- To consume brown rice for weight loss, boil or steam the rice instead of frying or cooking it in oil or fat. Pair brown rice with high-fibre vegetables or protein sources. Brown rice can also be used to make idli, dosa, and rice pudding.
- Eating too much brown rice may cause bloating, gas, belching, and digestive distress. Overconsumption of brown rice may also increase your risk of Type 2 Diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- The lignans, antioxidants, and minerals in brown rice can improve blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of obesity, heart disease, stroke, Type 2 Diabetes, and cancer. It is gluten-free and suitable for gluten-sensitive people.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Brown rice is a better choice for weight loss. Brown rice has a higher fibre content than white rice, due to which it keeps you feeling full for a longer period of time. This prevents snacking, overeating, and helps you control your overall calorie intake.
Any variety of brown rice is good for weight loss. Brown rice is a whole grain that contains intact bran and germ layers. Thus, it has several nutrients and fibre, which makes it a good choice for weight loss.
Yes, brown rice is good for belly fat loss. Brown rice contains fibre that delays the digestion of food and the absorption of sugar into the blood. This results in less calorie intake and more utilisation of calories stored in the form of fat. This may result in weight loss, and along with it, belly fat reduction too.
Yes, eating 1 cup of cooked brown rice (195 g) every day can help you lose weight. Brown rice has a high fibre content which keeps you full for a long time. This prevents overeating and reduces your overall calorie intake, thus promoting weight loss.
Yes, brown rice is good for weight loss. It is lower in calories and higher in fibre content compared to white rice. The fibre in brown rice helps to keep you full for longer and prevents you from snacking and overeating. Having 1 cup (195 g) of cooked brown rice during day time can help you feel full and energised for the day. You can also indulge in activities throughout the day to burn the calories consumed.