Buttermilk is a boon for the Indian weather, cooling, filling, and delicious. Can those watching their weight drink it? Is buttermilk good for weight loss? Let's see.
When you hear of chaas or buttermilk, it sounds like something full of butter and fat, right? And by extension, fattening and unhealthy? Can it be the right choice for people trying to manage their weight? Is buttermilk good for weight loss? Let’s find out!
What is Buttermilk?
In the traditional context, the term “buttermilk” was used for the liquid left over after whole milk was churned into butter. The Indian version of buttermilk is a drink made by blending curd or yogurt with water and optionally, spices.
In this blog, we are talking about Indian buttermilk and whether it is good for weight loss.
Buttermilk: Benefits for Weight Loss
Curd is good for weight loss and so is buttermilk, which is made from curd and water. The calories in curd, and thus the calories in buttermilk, are not very high. Thus, buttermilk is a good addition to a weight loss diet.
Buttermilk is good for weight loss in the following ways:
The protein content helps you stay full for longer
100 g of curd has 3.82 g of protein. Buttermilk made with 100 g curd will contain the same amount of protein. Protein can keep you feeling full for longer and lower the levels of hunger hormones in your body. This way, you can cut down on snacking and overeating, which contributes to weight loss.
The metabolism boost helps burn fat
The calcium, protein, and probiotics present in buttermilk can boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories. Studies show that eating curd every day along with meals helped people lose more weight and fat compared to those who did not include curd in their diet. Drinking buttermilk every day is expected to have the same benefits for weight loss.
The probiotic bacteria aid digestion
The probiotic bacteria (live, friendly bacteria) present in curd improve digestion and absorption of nutrients. Studies suggest that in this way, probiotics can help you lose weight and keep it off.
How to Make Buttermilk for Weight Loss?
Here are a few versatile buttermilk recipes for weight loss.
|1 cup plain curd2 cups cold water1 teaspoon salt (as per taste)
|1 cup plain curd2 cups cold water1 green chilli (chopped)1/4 inch ginger (chopped)1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped)1/4 teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder1/4 teaspoon salt (as per taste)1/4 teaspoon chaat masala
|1 cup plain curd2 cups cold water2 tablespoons of pudina paste1/4 inch ginger (chopped)1/4 teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder1 teaspoon salt (as per taste)
Method of preparation: Take curd in a bowl and add the water. Give it a good stir, add all the ingredients and mix well. Churn everything together manually or in a blender. Adjust the salt according to your taste. Enjoy!
How Much Buttermilk is Good for Weight Loss?
You can have 1 to 2 cups (245 to 450 g) of curd in a day for weight loss. You can make 500 to 1000 ml of buttermilk with 1 to 2 cups of curd and drink it in a day, as 1 single serving or divided into various servings.
What is the Best Time to Drink Buttermilk for Weight Loss?
- You can drink buttermilk at any time of the day, but drinking buttermilk on an empty stomach for weight loss can help improve your gut health and aids in effective digestion.
- Try incorporating it into your lunch or dinner. Drinking buttermilk during the day can help you feel full for longer and cut down on mid-morning or evening snacking, which can reduce your overall calorie intake and assist with weight loss.
- Is buttermilk good for weight loss at night? Yes, drinking buttermilk at night can promote digestion, prevent midnight hunger pangs, and improve the quality of your sleep.
What are the Risks of Overconsumption of Buttermilk?
Buttermilk is good for weight loss, but overconsumption may pose several other health problems such as:
- Drinking too much buttermilk made of whole-fat curd can cause weight gain.
- Though the lactose in buttermilk is usually easily digestible by those intolerant or sensitive to lactose, drinking too much dairy products such as buttermilk may lead to abdominal discomfort, bloating, diarrhoea, etc.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Buttermilk?
Most of the health benefits of buttermilk come from the properties of curd, which is used to make it. Curd and thus buttermilk has the following health benefits:
- It improves bone and dental health.
- It helps in lowering blood pressure.
- It prevents muscle loss and helps with muscle building.
- It reduces the severity of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms.
- It boosts immunity and protects against intestinal and vaginal infections.
- It improves skin and hair health.
- It protects against cardiovascular disease.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- The Indian version of buttermilk is a drink made by blending curd or yoghurt with water and optionally, spices. It is a great source of protein, calcium, B vitamins, and gut-friendly bacteria.
- Curd is good for weight loss and so is buttermilk. The protein present in buttermilk helps keep you full for longer and the probiotics improve metabolism and help burn more calories.
- Buttermilk can be had in different variations such as plain buttermilk, masala buttermilk and pudina buttermilk.
- Limit your intake to 2 glasses of buttermilk or 500 to 1000 ml per day. Overconsumption of buttermilk may lead to weight gain, abdominal discomfort, bloating, diarrhoea, etc.
- Buttermilk has numerous health benefits. It improves bone and dental health, helps in lowering blood pressure, prevents muscle loss, reduces the severity of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms, boosts immunity, improves skin and hair health, and protects against cardiovascular disease.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Both curd and buttermilk are good for weight loss. Buttermilk is simply curd blended with water so it has all the weight loss properties of curd. Curd and buttermilk have probiotic bacteria that improve digestion, high protein content that keeps you feeling full for longer, and metabolism-boosting and fat-burning properties, all of which aid in weight loss.
You can drink 500 to 1000 ml of buttermilk made with 1 to 2 cups (245 to 450 g) of curd in a day, as 1 single serving or divided into multiple servings.
Overconsumption of buttermilk can lead to weight gain, especially if the buttermilk is made of whole-fat curd. In lactose intolerant people, drinking too much buttermilk may cause abdominal discomfort, bloating, diarrhoea, etc.
Yes, buttermilk may help reduce belly fat. For belly fat reduction, overall weight loss is necessary. Buttermilk can help with weight loss as it is rich in protein, which delays digestion and keeps you full for longer. The probiotics in buttermilk improve metabolism and help burn more calories. Thus, drinking buttermilk can prevent you from overeating, lose weight, and reduce belly fat.
Yes, buttermilk is good for weight loss. Buttermilk is made from curd and has all its beneficial properties. Buttermilk has probiotic bacteria that improve digestion, metabolism-boosting properties, and high protein content that keeps you feeling full for a long time and reduces your appetite, all of which aid in weight loss.