Can’t resist the aroma of a plate of hot, steaming dhokla? Well, now you can relish them worry-free. This healthy snack can help you shed weight and benefit your overall health. Read on to know more.
Think of Indian snacks and you imagine yummy, but fried, greasy, and fattening foods. But wait, Indian cuisine also packs a bevy of yummy but healthy snacks and dhokla is one of them. Can’t stop thinking of it now? Go ahead, buy or make it. But is dhokla good for weight loss? Let’s find out.
Dhokla: Calories and Nutritional Facts
Dhokla is a famous Gujarati delicacy that is well known for its amazing texture and flavour. It is a steamed snack that can be made in various ways.
There are many varieties of dhokla. In this blog, we will discuss the variety made of gram flour (besan) without fermentation. It is also known as instant besan dhokla.
This simple vegetarian dish is full of fibre, protein, and essential nutrients. Let’s take a look at the nutritional information in 1 piece (58 g) of besan dhokla.
Benefits of Dhokla for Weight Loss: Know How it Works
Let’s understand what makes this mouthwatering snack ideal for weight loss:
Rich in Fibre
Dhokla is high in fibre, which plays an important role in keeping your body weight in check. High-fibre foods also tend to be more filling as fibre absorbs water and increases in volume in the stomach and intestine. It thus keeps you full for long periods, preventing the need for frequent snacking and lowering your calorie intake. Further, high-fibre foods can take longer to chew, which gives your body more time to realise when you are full and prevent overeating.
High in Protein
Dhokla is made from besan or gram flour, which is a rich source of protein. Proteins are the building blocks of your body and play a vital role in the growth and development of cells. When it comes to weight loss, protein should be an ideal part of your diet. Proteins can keep you full for longer and reduce your appetite. This helps prevent frequent snacking and reduces your calorie intake.
Low Glycemic Index
High-fibre foods like dhokla generally have a low glycemic index. Glycemic index refers to a value assigned to a particular food based on how much it raises your blood glucose levels after consumption. For losing weight, it is essential that you choose foods that have a low glycemic index. High-fibre foods digest slowly, resulting in a gradual rise of your blood glucose levels, thus benefiting weight loss.
Low in Calories
For losing weight, it is important that you be on a calorie deficit, meaning that you should be burning more calories than you consume. This makes it essential that you add low-calorie foods to your weight loss diet. Dhokla is a steamed food that is made out of besan and therefore is low in calories and rich in protein, fibre, and other essential nutrients. This makes it an ideal addition to a diet for weight loss.
How to Make Healthy Dhokla?
Dhokla is a steamed snack that is made with besan (gram flour) and spices. Let’s take a look at the steps of preparation:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1 tbsp citric acid
- I tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of turmeric
- Water (to mix the batter)
- 1 tbsp baking powder (mixed in water)
- 1 tbsp oil, ½ tbsp mustard seeds, 1 dried chilli, and 7 to 8 curry leaves for tadka.
Steps to Prepare Steamed Dhokla
- In a bowl, mix gram flour, citric acid, sugar, salt, and turmeric. Add water to the batter and mix until it is in a medium-thick consistency.
- Add the baking powder-water mixture to the batter.
- Grease a steaming tray with oil and pour the batter into it. Now steam for 15 to 20 minutes until it gets cooked.
- In a pan, add 1 tbsp oil, ½ tbsp mustard seeds, 1 dried chilli, and 7 to 8 curry leaves and let it splutter.
You can pour this tadka over the prepared dhokla. Cut into pieces and serve.
How Much Dhokla Can be Consumed in a Day?
Dhokla is a healthy snack that is low in calories. However, it is important to consume it in the right quantity to avoid any unwanted side effects and weight gain. You can consume 100 grams of dhokla in a day while trying to lose weight.
Which is the Best Time to Consume Dhokla?
Dhokla, being high in carbohydrates, proteins, and fibre, can keep you energetic and active for long hours and can be consumed during any time of the day. To reap maximum benefits from this food, you can consume it for breakfast or as an evening snack. It can keep you full for long hours and therefore curb frequent hunger pangs.
What are the Risks of Overconsumption of Dhokla?
Though consuming dhokla can benefit you in many ways, make sure that you avoid consuming more than what is recommended in a day. Overconsumption of dhokla can add on to your calories and lead to weight gain, as it is high in carbohydrates. It can also upset your stomach causing pain, gas, or constipation.
Other Health Benefits of Dhokla
Here are a few benefits of dhokla that you should be aware of:
- Unlike most Indian snacks, dhokla is steamed and not deep-fried. Therefore, it is much lower in calories and benefits weight loss.
- As dhokla is high in fibre and proteins, it is also beneficial in controlling your blood sugar levels and in boosting your digestive health.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Dhokla is a steamed Indian snack that is tasty and healthy at the same time. The good news is that it also promotes weight loss.
- It is low in calories, and rich in fibre and proteins. It is low in fat and also has a low glycemic index. These factors make this yummy snack apt for those who are trying to shed weight.
- Instant besan dhokla is made by steaming a batter made of gram flour (besan).
- You can consume 100 grams of dhokla in a day while trying to lose weight.
- To reap maximum benefits from this food, you can consume it for breakfast or as an evening snack. It can keep you full for long hours and therefore curb frequent hunger pangs.
- Though consuming dhokla can benefit you in many ways, make sure that you avoid consuming more than what is recommended in a day. Overconsumption of dhokla can add to your calories and lead to weight gain. It can also upset your stomach causing pain, gas, or constipation.
- Apart from assisting in weight loss, dhokla can help with controlling your blood sugar levels and boosting your digestive health.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Consuming dhokla in the right quantity in a day will not increase your body weight. You can consume up to 100 grams of dhokla in a day. It is low in calories and high in protein and fibre. This makes it the perfect weight-loss snack.
You can consume dhokla at night. However, it is better to consume it in the morning or as an evening snack. This snack is high in carbohydrates, protein, and fats and can keep you energised and full for long hours while satiating your hunger.
Dhokla, unlike most common snacks, is steamed and not fried. As it is prepared just by steaming, with no additional salt, sugar, or oil, it is not considered junk food. It is a healthy snack that can benefit your health. As it is low in calories, you can consume it without worrying, if you are trying to lose weight.
Yes! besan dhokla is good for weight loss. The protein and fibre content in besan keeps you satiated, preventing the need for frequent snacking. When you feel full, you are less likely to binge on fattening foods. It thus helps you keep control of your calorie intake, accelerating weight loss.
Besan or gram flour is not fat-free. However, most of the fats it contains are healthy or unsaturated fats that are beneficial for your overall health and also assist in weight loss.
As dhokla is a snack made from besan (gram flour), it is a good source of protein and fibre. This combination works well for weight loss. Protein and fibre help keep you satiated and full for longer. It helps prevent frequent hunger pangs and thus helps you avoid overeating. This can lower your calorie intake and promote weight loss.