Sugarcane Juice: Nutritional Profile
The nutrition of sugarcane juice includes potassium, calcium, iron, zinc, thiamin, riboflavin, magnesium, phosphorus, and several amino acids. Moreover, sugar cane juice is reported to have a glycemic index score of 43, which classifies it as a low glycemic food [12,13]. But it is relatively high in sugars and low in fiber, making it a bad choice for diabetes patients.
Usually, this juice is found to be sold by vendors on the street. It’s important to drink it from hygienic places only to avoid being infected with diseases.
Benefits of Sugarcane Juice For Diabetes
Sugarcane juice is nutritious and provides instant energy and iron. This makes it a diabetic-friendly drink and a great substitute for packaged juices, if your diabetes is well managed. For those with Type 2 diabetes, it’s advised to consume when the sugar level falls drastically or if you suffer from hypoglycemia.
It’s crucial to keep in mind that moderation is the key when it comes to consuming sugarcane juice, for its health benefits.
How to Consume Sugarcane Juice?
Nothing beats drinking raw sugarcane juice. However, if you’re looking for additional flavors, then sugarcane juice tastes the best with a teaspoon of ginger or lime. You can also pair it with coconut water for a unique flavor.
Risks of Over Consumption of Sugarcane Juice
Overconsumption of sugarcane juice can lead to side effects. Sugarcane contains policosanol that causes insomnia, indigestion, dizziness and headaches, and weight loss.
Sugarcane juice oxidizes quickly and it is always best consumed fresh. The oxidized version of sugarcane juice may be toxic and lead to stomach related problems.
If consumed excessively, it can also cause blood thinning. If you are already on blood thinners, consuming sugarcane juice can lead to severe bleeding related issues.
Depending on the severity of diabetes, pieces of sugar cane, rather than sugarcane juice is suggested for diabetes patients. In the form of sugarcane pieces, one can get the maximum benefits and some fiber, without having to consume large amounts of it.
Other Health Benefits of Sugarcane Juice
Due to the sugar level, sugarcane juice is great at hydrating the body and being an energy booster for non-diabetes patients.
- The calcium and phosphorus present help in overcoming deficiencies and tooth decay.
- It can reduce fatigue and prevent diseases such as urinary infections, constipation, or stomach infections.
- As per Ayurveda, the antioxidants in sugarcane juice treat jaundice and boost the immune system.
- It works wonders on the skin as well – mixing it with Aloe Vera gel to make a face mask can reduce acne and make skin more radiant.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Sugarcane juice has numerous health benefits for diabetic patients but needs to be consumed in moderation, as it can quickly raise blood sugar and is low in fiber.
- It’s rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, which boost the overall health of the consumer and lowers oxidative stress, preventing a number of diseases.
- It has other nutritional benefits for hydration and help in improving energy levels.
- Sugarcane pieces, rather than sugarcane juice are suggested to be consumed by those with mild to moderate diabetes cases.
- Those with severe diabetes should completely avoid sugarcane, as it can negatively impact your blood sugar levels.
- Use Phable Care App to consult India’s leading diabetologists, order medicines, book lab tests, integrate Accu-Chek instant and other devices to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Let’s treat diabetes together.
Sugarcane juice is not a good option for diabetes patients. Sugarcane pieces, rather than sugarcane juice should be consumed by those with mild to moderate diabetes cases to get its nutritional benefits. Those with severe diabetes should completely avoid sugarcane, as it can negatively impact your blood sugar levels.
Yes, overconsumption of the juice can lead to high blood sugar levels.
Sugarcane juice decreases bad cholesterol level, which can help with weight loss. However, excessive consumption of sugarcane juice can cause weight gain due to the high calorie and sugar.
It’s an excellent source of vitamin C, and antioxidants. It also helps in digestion, liver-related issues and is also an immunity booster.
No, consuming Sugarcane juice will not cause diabetes, as sugarcane is a low glycemic food.
Sugar cane juice contains approximately 180 calories for a 240ml glass. The portion has a high level of dietary fiber and consists of 30 grams of sugar only.
Nutritionists suggest drinking freshly squeezed juice before noon. One must sit down while consuming liquids.
The drink is high in sugar and overconsumption can lead to unwanted weight gain.
Sugarcane contains policosanol that can cause insomnia, indigestion, nausea, fluctuation in cholesterol, blood thinning, and headache if consumed excessively.
It's recommended not to consume it at night as it may reduce sleep. Sugary drinks are more effective during day time.
Sugar cane juices reduce cholesterol and help in weight management. A small portion every day is good for heart health and preventing diseases.