Tomatoes: Nutritional Profile
Tomatoes fall in the low GI group of foods and are reportedly known to have a glycaemic index of 30. Tomatoes comprise water (95%), and the other 5 % is mainly fiber and starch. So, a small (100-gram) raw tomato contains:
⦁ Calories: 18
⦁ Water: 95%
⦁ Protein: 0.9 grams
⦁ Carbs: 3.9 grams
⦁ Sugar: 2.6 grams
⦁ Fiber: 1.2 grams
⦁ Fat: 0.2 grams
⦁ Vitamins and Minerals- Tomatoes are rich in potassium, Vit C, Vit A, and other nutrients, including lutein, zeaxanthin, and lycopene.
Advantages of Tomato for diabetes
- Tomatoes are low in carbohydrates preventing quick blood sugar spikes.
- They are non-starchy and also have a low glycaemic index.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene that helps reduce the risk of heart disease and prevent macular degeneration associated with Diabetes.
- Tomatoes are low in calories and help maintain weight.
- Tomatoes are also rich in fiber, and the acids in them maintain good digestion.
Ways to Consume Tomatoes
Tomatoes should be fresh and stored in a cool and less humid place.
They can be eaten both raw and cooked. They can be added to sandwiches, salads, dips, and drinks. Raw tomatoes go well in salads and sandwiches. They can be cooked in soup, curry, or gravy. Tomatoes also make a delicious topping of various veg or chicken dishes. Prefer whole tomatoes over canned or pureed ones. Tomato sauces or slurries may potentially raise blood sugars being higher in GI value.
When to Consume Tomatoes
Eating tomatoes during breakfast can suffice for 40% of our day’s Vit C needs and get absorbed better. However, some studies suggest that tomato consumption at night increases the risk of cancer.
Tomatoes can be safely eaten every day. It is recommended to eat one medium tomato. If it is a cherry tomato, you can eat up to seven.
Risks of Over Consumption of Tomato
Tomatoes are generally safe but may cause allergies in some people. When eaten in excess, tomatoes may cause hyperacidity, digestive troubles, diarrhea, kidney problems, joint pain, and even body aches.
Other Health Benefits of Tomatoes
- Being loaded with lycopene, tomatoes are good for skin health and prevent sunburns.
- Being rich in antioxidants, tomatoes also reduce the risk of cancers.
- They help lower inflammation and improve immune response.
- Tomatoes also improve vision.
- Tomatoes are good for heart health, reduce cholesterol levels and help keep weight in check.
- Being loaded with fiber, tomatoes help in constipation.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
⦁ Tomatoes are delicious in raw and cooked form. They are a healthier economical option for a diabetic patient.
⦁ Tomatoes are non-starchy, so neither high in carbohydrates nor sugar and therefore help lower sugar levels.
⦁ They are excellent sources of folate, and vitamins A, C, E, and K, thereby daily dose of tomatoes increases the wholesomeness of the diabetic diet.
⦁ Fresh tomatoes are ideal for maintaining blood sugar levels. They can be eaten raw, or added to healthier recipes like salads or whole-grain sandwiches. Therefore, tomatoes are known to be healthy for all.
Being low in glycemic index and starch value, tomatoes are good for diabetes. The non starchy vegetable is a great source of folate, and vitamins A,C,E and K, which is a great mix of nutrients for diabetes management.
Yes, tomatoes are low starch and rich in fiber, so they help in lowering blood sugar.
If eaten in larger quantities or as sugary sauces, tomatoes may spike blood sugars and may not be good for diabetics patients.
Tomato in concentrated forms as sauces and juices may cause a quick spike in blood sugars, so not advisable for a diabetic person.