Can you drink coconut water for high blood pressure? If consumed fresh and in its pure form, coconut water can help lower your blood pressure. Read how!
Think of a refreshing drink for the summers that keeps you hydrated and you think of coconut water. However, is coconut water good for high blood pressure? Let’s find out.
Coconut water is known to be rich in carbohydrates and electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, and magnesium. The American Heart Association (AHA) states that foods rich in potassium can benefit people who face high blood pressure. So, drinking coconut water can be beneficial if you have high blood pressure symptoms.
Coconut Water: Nutritional Profile
Coconut water is a delicious and healthy drink for hot and humid weather. It provides multiple health benefits with the presence of carbohydrates in the form of sugars and electrolytes that can be easily digested by your body.
The nutritional value of unflavoured and naturally obtained 100 g of coconut water is as follows
|Content in each 100 g
|Total fat (lipid)
|0.2 g0.176 g0.008 g0.002 g
What are the Advantages of Drinking Coconut Water for High Blood Pressure?
The most important reason for the effect of coconut water on high blood pressure is its high potassium content.
As per American Heart Association (AHA), potassium is an essential mineral in maintaining blood pressure. It works by decreasing the effects of sodium in the body. It further helps in relaxing your blood vessel walls, thereby lowering the blood pressure.
Increasing the intake of potassium-rich food and drinks in your daily diet can help lower blood pressure in hypertension (high blood pressure) patients. Coconut water can be a great option for the same reasons.
How Much Coconut Water Should You Drink in a Day for High Blood Pressure?
You can take 300 ml of coconut water twice daily to manage high blood pressure, provided it is 100% natural coconut water and free from added sugars and/or preservatives.
What is the Best Time to Drink Coconut Water for High Blood Pressure?
Coconut water is a light and nutritious beverage that can be taken at any time of the day for high blood pressure.
What is the Best Way to Consume Coconut Water for High Blood Pressure?
The best way to consume coconut water is fresh and straight out of the coconut when it is 100% natural with no added sugars and/or preservatives. You can also add it to your smoothies or other drinks and even freeze it in the form of ice cubes or popsicle sticks to get a refreshing effect in the scorching heat.
What are the Side Effects of Drinking Too Much Coconut Water?
Coconut water is likely safe for most adults and children when taken as a health drink. However, overconsumption might result in some side effects including:
An Upset Stomach
If taken in large amounts, coconut water may cause bloating (fullness) and an upset stomach in some people.
High Potassium Levels
High intake of coconut water can cause the potassium levels in the blood to rise. Thus, those with kidney problems should limit their consumption of coconut water and consult a healthcare provider about the same.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Drinking Coconut Water?
- It is believed to be a super hydrating beverage for people who indulge in regular physical activities as it can compensate for the loss of fluids during heavy workout sessions.
- Studies suggest that the antimicrobial and antioxidant properties of coconut water can help improve overall skin health.
- Due to the abundance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, coconut water can promote better digestion.
- Coconut water is a good source of magnesium, which may increase your sensitivity to insulin and decrease blood sugar levels.
- Drinking coconut water may decrease the risk of developing heart diseases.
When to Avoid Drinking Coconut Water?
Although coconut water has various benefits for health, you should avoid its consumption under certain conditions such as:
Coconut water may disturb blood pressure management during and after surgery. You should stop taking coconut water a minimum of two weeks before the day of your surgery.
In Cystic Fibrosis
Some people with cystic fibrosis (an inherited disorder that severely damages the lungs and digestive system) need to increase their salt intake through medication as it lowers the sodium levels in the body. If you have cystic fibrosis, drinking coconut water is not advisable as it might cause an imbalance in the sodium and potassium levels in your body.
In Kidney Dysfunction
Coconut water contains high levels of potassium. Generally, the excess potassium consumed by your body gets excreted by the kidneys through urination. However, when the kidneys are not able to function properly, it becomes a difficult task for the body to excrete this excess potassium. Thus, those with kidney problems should be cautious of their consumption of coconut water.
Enough evidence is not available to prove the effects of coconut water on the body during pregnancy. It is, however, recommended that you should not consume coconut water during pregnancy to be on the safer side.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Coconut water is a refreshing drink for the summers that keeps you hydrated during hot and humid weather.
- A 100 g of fresh coconut water consists of 95% of water content, and a high potassium and carbohydrate content for boosting energy.
- As per the American Heart Association (AHA), potassium is an essential mineral in maintaining blood pressure. It works by decreasing the effects of sodium in the body. It further helps in relaxing your blood vessel walls, thereby lowering blood pressure.
- You can take 300 ml of coconut water twice daily to manage high blood pressure, provided it is 100% natural coconut water and free from added sugars and/or preservatives.
- The best way to consume coconut water is fresh and straight out of a coconut. It can be consumed at any time of the day.
- Overconsumption of coconut water may result in some side effects including an upset stomach, bloating, and worsening of kidney problems.
- Coconut water should not be consumed in certain conditions such as in pregnancy, before a surgery, in cystic fibrosis, and kidney dysfunction without consultation with a healthcare professional.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading cardiologists, order medicines, book lab tests, integrate BP monitors and other devices to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Also, check out our Hypertension Management program which provides 360º care. Let’s treat high blood pressure problems together.
Friendly Asked Questions
Potassium-rich foods can help lower blood pressure. Hence, coconut water, which is rich in potassium, does not increase blood pressure. Rather, it helps decrease high blood pressure.
It is advisable to drink up to 300 ml of coconut water twice daily to lower your blood pressure.
People who have an upcoming surgery and have conditions such as pregnancy, cystic fibrosis, and kidney dysfunction should not drink coconut water without consulting their healthcare provider.
Coconut water is a healthy and refreshing beverage for the summer and can be taken every day.
Coconut water is the clear liquid content in the center of a green coconut whereas coconut milk is made from the white flesh of a mature brown coconut. Also, coconut water contains about 95% water content and very little fat but coconut milk is quite high in fat content.