Wondering if you can eat bananas on a weight loss diet? Absolutely! Learn how and when to eat bananas for the best weight loss results.
Is banana good for weight loss? The Japanese claim that the “Asa Banana Diet” where you eat only bananas for breakfast helps you lose weight quickly, but your grandmother may disagree. When it comes to bananas and weight management, there is no general consensus. So let’s know more about how this delicious fruit can help you lose weight!
Banana: Nutritional Profile
Bananas are a great source of potassium, fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine). The following is the nutritional information for 100 grams of slightly ripe and overripe bananas.
|Slightly ripe and Ripe Bananas
What are the Advantages of Bananas for Weight Loss?
Their high fiber content can make you feel full
Bananas are a good source of dietary fiber (5.6% of daily requirement per 100 g). High fiber content slows down digestion and keeps you full for a longer period of time, which can prevent snacking and overeating.
They are good for digestion
Bananas are rich in fiber and prebiotics, which help ease digestion. Prebiotics are foods that help in the growth of gut-friendly bacteria. Thus bananas can relieve constipation, improve digestion, and help in treating diarrhea. A healthy digestive system can help you lose weight faster.
The resistant starch in unripe bananas is good for fat loss
Green, unripe or raw bananas are good for weight loss as they are high in resistant starch. Resistant starch withstands digestion in the stomach and small intestine, and has similar properties to dietary fiber. It can trigger the release of peptides that make you feel less hungry, improve insulin sensitivity, and promote the burning of stored fat in your body. As bananas ripen, the concentration of resistant starch in them starts to diminish.
They are a nutritious substitute for energy drinks pre and post-workout
Bananas are a great source of energy and electrolytes, and can be consumed instead of energy drinks before and after exercising. As most energy and sports drinks have high amounts of added sugars and caffeine, substituting them with a banana can help lower the number of calories you consume.
What is the Best Time to Eat Bananas for Weight Loss?
Start your mornings with a banana
Incorporating a banana into your breakfast can give you an energy boost and also prevent mid-morning hunger pangs.
Have a banana as a post-workout snack
Eating a banana after exercise can restore the lost electrolytes, prevent sugar cravings and replenish energy.
Replace your dessert with a banana
Most desserts are usually loaded with empty calories and carbohydrates. Replacing them with a banana can help you satisfy your cravings while supplying your body with essential nutrients.
Four Fun Ways to Include Bananas in Your Diet
Whip up a banana berry smoothie
Replace your breakfast with a nutritious smoothie made of frozen bananas, berries and yogurt. This drink can boost your metabolism and also help you stay full for a longer time.
Add them to a fruit salad
Replace your snacks or desserts with a fruit salad made of bananas and other seasonal fruits. This can help you eat fewer empty calories.
Make a nut butter and banana sandwich
Make a healthier and more nutritious version of jam and butter sandwiches by replacing them with banana slices and peanut or almond butter.
Enjoy a banana by its lonesome
Bananas are delicious and easily digestible fruit that are sweet enough to be eaten without any added toppings and can even be enjoyed by people who have diabetes or hypertension.
What are the Risks of Overconsumption of Banana for Weight Loss?
Like any food, eating too many bananas can cause health problems:
- The high sugar content in bananas can spike your blood sugar levels.
- The high fiber content in bananas can cause bloating, flatulence, diarrhea, etc.
- The high sugars, calories and carbohydrates in bananas can cause weight gain.
Are Bananas a Good Option for Weight Loss?
Although bananas have a high fiber content that can help you stay full for a longer time, they are high in sugars, which can make you gain weight if eaten in excess. There are several other fruits like berries, apples, oranges, peaches, etc., that have higher fiber content and lower sugar and calorie content in comparison.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Bananas?
- The high potassium in bananas can help lower your blood pressure levels.
- The potassium in bananas can also prevent muscle cramps, electrolyte imbalance, and dehydration.
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) in bananas can help relieve nerve pain.
- The antioxidants in bananas can counter the cell damage caused by free radicals.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Bananas are rich in potassium, fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, and vitamin B6.
- They are high in fiber and resistant starch, which can promote satiety and reduce calorie intake. They also have prebiotic properties which can improve digestion.
- The best time to eat bananas for weight loss is in the mornings for breakfast, before and after workouts, and as a replacement for desserts.
- You can incorporate bananas into your weight loss diet by adding them to smoothies, fruit salads, and sandwiches.
- Fruits like berries, apples, oranges, etc., have higher fiber content and lower calories than bananas.
- The potassium in bananas can help lower blood pressure levels, prevent muscle cramps, and maintain electrolyte balance. Bananas can also help in relieving nerve pain owing to their high Vit. B6 content.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
There are about 85 kcal. in 100 grams of an overripe banana. Slightly ripe bananas have 98 kcal. per 100 grams.
Bananas are high in natural sugars and calories compared to other fruits, so eating more than two medium-sized bananas a day can make you gain weight.
Eating deep-fried banana chips are high in calories, so eating too many can cause weight gain. If you are trying to lose weight, you can eat oven-baked or air-fried banana chips once in a while.
Green or raw bananas are high in resistant starch and low in sugar which makes them the best option for weight loss. As a banana ripens, it loses its resistant starch content and becomes sweeter. So the less ripe a banana is, the better it is for weight loss.
Yes, eating one or two bananas for breakfast instead of high-calorie calorie foods like cereal, bread, upmas, pancakes, etc., can help you lose weight.
Bananas have a very low-fat content of about 0.2 to 0.3 grams for every 100 grams.