Broccoli, a low-calorie & low-fat vegetable, is extremely suitable for those planning to lose weight. It keeps you full for longer & curbs hunger cravings.
Losing weight is something you all must have tried. Maintaining an ideal weight is essential for good health. Having a healthy diet and staying physically active play a crucial role when it comes to weight loss. Adding certain foods to your diet can be beneficial in accelerating weight loss. Broccoli is one such super veggie that aids in weight loss. Read on to know how.
What is Broccoli?
Broccoli belongs to a group of vegetables called cruciferous vegetables. Other vegetables that belong to this group include cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy, etc. This vegetable is a powerhouse of antioxidants and has immunity-boosting properties. Broccoli is highly nutritious and benefits your overall health. One of the main benefits of broccoli is the role it plays in weight loss. Let’s understand how broccoli aids in weight loss.
Is Broccoli Good For Weight Loss?
Broccoli checks all the boxes when it comes to the essential factors for weight loss. They include the following:
Low in Calories
Broccoli is low in calories. 100 grams of broccoli contains approximately 34 calories and a bowl of cooked broccoli contains around 50 to 65 calories. A calorie deficit diet is the key to weight loss. To lose weight it is essential to burn more calories than what you consume. Therefore, foods such as broccoli form a perfect addition to your weight loss diet.
High in Fiber
Broccoli is an excellent source of dietary fiber. 100 grams of broccoli contains around 3.3 grams of fiber. Sufficient intake of fiber is essential while you are on a weight loss diet. Fiber absorbs water and increases the volume of food in the stomach. Thus, it helps keep you full for long periods of time. This curbs your hunger and thus prevents frequent snacking.
Rich in Nutrients
Broccoli is a rich source of vitamin C that promotes fat burn. Vitamin C also helps improve your immunity and benefits your skin and hair. Vitamin K is another nutrient found in broccoli. It helps promote fat and glucose metabolism. It is effective for burning fat, especially around the belly. Broccoli is also rich in carotenoids (a natural plant compound). It promotes fat burn and thus aids in weight loss.
High in Water Content
Broccoli is high in water content. This vegetable is 90% water. It keeps you hydrated and boosts your metabolism. Having a good metabolism is essential for burning calories at a faster rate.
How to Eat Broccoli For Weight Loss?
Broccoli can be added to your diet in different ways.
- They can be added to your soups or salads to bring a tasty twist to them.
- Boiled broccolis can be added to sandwiches and pasta.
- You can also make broccoli stuffed chapatis or rotis, making them more nutritious.
- Stir-fried broccoli can be a tasty and nutritious snack that you can consume between meals.
What is the Best Time to Have Broccoli?
Broccoli is high in insoluble fiber and hence it takes a longer time to digest. It is advisable to have broccoli for breakfast or for lunch so that your body gets enough time to digest it.
How Much Broccoli Should be Consumed in a Day For Weight Loss?
For weight loss, it would be apt to consume broccoli 2 to 3 times a week. You can aim at consuming 400 grams of broccoli in a week (about 2 medium florets).
Risks of Overconsumption of Broccoli for Weight Loss
Though broccoli is a nutritious vegetable, you should avoid its overconsumption to prevent certain unwanted side effects. Let’s take a look at the risks of overconsumption of broccoli:
- Broccoli when consumed in high quantities can affect the functioning of your thyroid gland.
- Variations in thyroid hormone levels can lead to symptoms such as weight gain, hair loss, fatigue, and mood changes.
- It can cause issues with bowel movements and lead to constipation.
- It can also cause gastric issues and bloating.
What Are the Other Health Benefits of Broccoli?
Improves Heart Health:
Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli improves blood flow and boosts your heart health. Regular consumption of broccoli helps relax your blood vessels and thus helps keep your blood pressure in check.
Lutein and zeaxanthin present in broccoli help in boosting your eyesight. It prevents age-related degeneration of the retina.
Broccoli is high in antioxidants and thus helps prevent cell damage. Therefore, it helps prevent the formation of cancer cells.
The antioxidant effects of sulforaphane present in broccoli help in reducing inflammation in the body.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Broccoli belongs to a group of vegetables called cruciferous vegetables. It is a powerhouse of antioxidants and has immunity-boosting properties.
- Broccoli is highly nutritious and benefits your overall health. One of the main benefits of broccoli is the role it plays in weight loss.
- It is low in calories, and high in fiber and other essential nutrients. It thus qualifies as a perfect weight-loss food.
- Broccoli is high in insoluble fiber and therefore it takes a longer time to digest. Thus it is better to have broccoli for breakfast or for lunch so that your body gets enough time to digest it.
- For weight loss, it would be apt to consume broccoli 2 to 3 times a week. You can aim at consuming 400 grams of broccoli in a week (about 2 medium florets).
- Overconsumption of broccoli can cause thyroid problems and gastric issues.
- Regular consumption of broccoli also improves your heart health, boosts eyesight, prevents cancer, and reduces inflammation in the body.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Broccoli is packed with fiber and good carbs. It is low in calories, helps in burning fat, and thus aids in weight loss. A diet with broccoli, when combined with regular exercises, helps burn belly fat.
Broccoli is a good source of protein and dietary fiber. It is low in calories and highly nutritious. These factors make it a perfect weight-loss food. Therefore, you will not gain weight from consuming broccoli, in fact, it accelerates weight loss.
Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, and kale would be a good addition to your weight loss diet. They are highly nutritious, rich in fiber, and low in calories. These are some of the essential factors that promote weight loss.
Yea! Steamed broccoli will have the same benefits as the raw vegetable and therefore works in the same way to aid weight loss. Steaming broccoli helps enhance its taste and also prevents overindulgence.
You can have 2 to 2.5 cups of broccoli per day. Overconsumption of broccoli can cause unwanted side effects such as thyroid problems, muscle, and joint pains, mood changes, and fatigue.
Broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables as it is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is also high in proteins and packed with fiber.