While trying to shed weight, you often tend to skip your glass of milk. But is it actually necessary to avoid milk for weight loss? Absolutely Not!! In fact, it can help you lose that extra weight and get fitter. Read on to know how.
Saying “NO” to milk worrying about weight gain? However, is it actually necessary to avoid milk while trying to shed kilos? The answer is “NO”. Milk forms a complete meal that contributes to your overall health.
Milk is a rich source of protein, which is essential for the health of your muscles, bone, skin, hair, and every tissue in the body. Milk is an excellent source of calcium and vitamin D. It also contains vitamin A, vitamin B12, potassium, zinc, magnesium, and thiamin (vitamin B1).
Consuming milk regularly can help in improving your overall health and in boosting your immunity. However, is milk beneficial in weight loss? Can it be included in your weight loss diet? Yes! Milk contributes to weight loss and prevents weight gain. Let’s find out how.
How is Milk Good for Weight Loss?
Rich in Protein
Milk is rich in protein. 250 ml or one glass of milk contains 8 grams of protein. Protein is the single most important nutrient for weight loss. High protein intake helps in boosting your metabolism and making your body burn more calories. Protein also helps in reducing your hunger and thereby controls your calorie intake. Having a diet rich in protein helps you lose weight without losing muscle. Protein also helps you burn more calories at rest.
Packed with Nutrients
Milk is rich in all the essential nutrients that your body needs. Let’s take a look at the impressive nutritional benefits of milk.
|One Cup of Milk (250 ml)
|3 mg (120 IU)
Milk also contains linoleic acid, which has an ability to boost weight loss by promoting fat breakdown. Evidence from studies also suggests that foods and beverages that are high in calcium reduce the risk of obesity and promote weight loss. Adding whole milk to your diet is a healthy way to lose weight and stay fit.
What to Watch Out for While Having Milk for Weight Loss?
It is easy to consume more milk than is recommended, as it is a tasty and nutritious beverage. 8 ounces (250 ml) is considered one full serving of milk, whereas most glasses found in your kitchens are 14 to 16 ounces (400 to 470 ml). Hence, it is important to pay attention to the amount of milk you are consuming.
The fat content in milk is an important factor to consider while having milk for weight loss. Skimmed milk is fat-free while one glass of whole milk has 8 g of fat. If you are trying to lose weight, you can limit yourself to 500 ml of milk per day. You can avoid adding sugar to your milk to cut down on calories.
Which is the Best Time to Drink Milk for Weight Loss?
Drinking milk at specific times will help you reap more benefits. For weight loss, you can have one glass of milk after meals. This will help in improving your metabolism and also keeps you full for a long period. Drinking milk after workouts is shown to support muscle growth and weight loss.
How Much Milk Should be Consumed in a Day for Losing Weight?
While on a weight loss diet, you can consume 1 to 2 glasses (250 to 500 ml) of milk in a day. Make sure to keep an eye on the quantity of milk you consume while trying to lose weight. The fat content and calorie count in milk may lead to weight gain when consumed in higher than recommended quantities
What are the Other Health Benefits of Milk?
Improves Bone Health:
The calcium and vitamin D found in milk is essential for your bone health. It lowers the risk of osteoporosis (a condition where your bones become weak and brittle) and fractures, especially in older adults.
Controls Blood Pressure:
Milk is a rich source of potassium which helps in controlling your blood pressure. Potassium helps balance the sodium levels in your body, thus maintaining healthy blood pressure.
Some evidence from studies reveals that food sources rich in calcium help in reducing the risk of cancer.
Improves Muscle Mass:
The vitamin D and calcium content in milk improve your muscle mass. Vitamin D is essential for the growth and development of muscles and it also plays a role in improving muscle strength. Calcium also plays a crucial role in muscle growth and function.
Who Should Avoid Milk?
If you are lactose intolerant (unable to fully digest the lactose sugar in milk), you should avoid having milk and other dairy products. People with lactose intolerance lack an enzyme that breaks down the lactose sugar in milk. In such cases, consumption of milk can cause symptoms such as bloating, gas, stomach cramps, and diarrhea.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Milk is a highly nutritious beverage that also helps you lose weight.
- Milk is rich in protein. 250 ml or one glass of milk contains 8 g of protein. Protein is the single most important nutrient for weight loss. High protein intake helps in boosting your metabolism, making your body burn more calories.
- Protein also helps in reducing your hunger and thereby helps you keep a check on your calorie intake. Having a diet rich in protein helps you lose weight without losing muscle. Protein also helps you burn more calories at rest.
- Milk also contains linoleic acid, which has the ability to boost weight loss by promoting fat breakdown.
- Drinking milk at specific times will help you reap more benefits. For weight loss, you can have one glass of milk after meals. This will help in improving your metabolism and also keep you full for a long period.
- While on a weight loss diet, you can consume 1 to 2 glasses (250 to 500 ml) of milk in a day.
- Consuming milk every day builds your immunity, strengthens your bones and muscles, and also controls your blood pressure.
- If you are lactose intolerant, you should avoid having milk and other dairy products.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
It is a misconception that milk can make you fat. Milk is rich in proteins that help you lose weight and prevent weight gain.
Since milk is rich in protein, it improves your metabolism and also keeps you full. It can thus help you control your calorie intake, helping in weight loss.
Milk powders are low in fat and calories and therefore do not cause weight gain. However, some milk powders can have artificial sweeteners. Therefore, it’s wise to keep a check on the sugar content in milk powders to avoid weight gain.
It is a misconception that you should avoid milk while on a weight loss diet. You can include milk and milk products in your diet for weight loss. Milk is high in protein and at the same time low in calories. These factors are ideal for weight loss.
Yes! It is ok to drink milk at night for weight loss. It helps prevent hunger pangs at night and also reduces food cravings.
Adding multi-grain powder or dry fruit powder to your milk can make it more nutritious as it adds a source of fiber to it. It also benefits weight loss.
Yes! It is advised to have milk every day unless you are lactose intolerant. It is a nutritious beverage that benefits your overall health. It helps you lose weight, builds your immunity, strengthens your bones and muscles, and also boosts your heart health.