Peanut butter may be called a ‘fattening’ food, but it can still help you reach your weight loss goals. Read more to know about the right way to eat peanut butter in order to lose weight.
Peanut butter might not be the first thing that pops into your mind when you think of losing weight, but it’s true. Eating peanut butter every day can do wonders for your weight loss goals, along with loads of other health benefits. Read on to know the nutrition profile of peanut butter, is peanut butter healthy for weight loss, when and how much to eat, and how you can include more of it in your diet.
Peanut Butter: Nutritional Profile
Peanut butter is loaded with protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients. It is rich in manganese, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin E and B-complex vitamins.
The following is the nutritional information for 100 grams of low-sodium peanut butter.
How Does Peanut Butter Help You Lose Weight?
It keeps you full for longer
Peanut butter has high amounts of protein, healthy fats and fiber, all of which slow down digestion and keep you feeling satiated for a longer period of time. This lowers your calories intake by reducing snacking and overeating.
It has a low Glycemic Index (GI) Score
Peanut butter has a low GI score of 14, which means that it won’t cause a spike in your blood sugar levels. Peanut butter also keeps your blood sugar levels stable for a long time after consumption, which lowers the insulin levels in your body. Low insulin and blood sugar levels induce your body to burn fat for energy, leading to weight loss.
It can help you fight sugar cravings
Peanut butter has a slight natural sweetness to it, which when combined with its ability to stabilize your blood sugar levels can suppress sugar cravings, which can lower calorie intake.
It is not associated with weight gain
Despite its high calorie and fat content, peanut butter is not associated with weight gain when eaten in moderation. You can consume up to two tablespoons (25 to 30 grams) of peanut butter daily without putting on weight.
Wondering How to Eat Peanut Butter for Weight Loss? Try These Delicious Tricks!
Try the Classic PB&J
What better way to start your day than having a peanut butter and jam sandwich for breakfast! Go a step further by substituting the jam with fruit slices, honey or a homemade compote.
Blend it into Your Smoothies
Add a spoonful of peanut butter into your breakfast smoothies to make them more filling and also up your protein intake.
Mix it into Your Oatmeal
Peanut butter can add a great taste and creamy texture to your bowl of oatmeal. It can also keep you full until lunchtime.
Slather it onto Fruit Slices
Don’t like eating fruits? Try spreading some peanut butter on them. Combining fruits with peanut butter can be a great way to snack while ensuring you get essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Cool Down with Peanut Butter Froyo
If you have a sweet tooth, it can be difficult to meet your weight loss goals while also resisting sweets. Try substituting a treat like ice cream with some homemade peanut butter and berry frozen yogurt.
Try a Delicious Homemade Peanut Butter for Weight Loss
Skip all the added ingredients and preservatives of the store-bought peanut butter by making some at home. Just blitz some roasted peanuts with a little bit of oil till you get the desired consistency. Add some jaggery, a spoon of honey or salt to taste.
What is the Best Time to Eat Peanut Butter for Weight Loss?
Make Peanut Butter a Part of Your Breakfast
Eating peanut butter for breakfast can help you stay full for longer. It also boosts your energy levels and stabilizes your blood sugar levels which can prevent mid-morning snacking and sugar cravings.
Have Some Peanut Butter After a Workout
You can eat some peanut butter after your workout instead of drinking a sports drink or protein shake. Having a spoonful of peanut butter after exercise can prevent muscle loss. It also has fewer calories and added sugars compared to sports drinks.
Replace Your Dessert with a Spoonful of Peanut Butter
Having a spoon of peanut butter instead of a dessert can help you cut down on your calorie intake while also satisfying your sugar cravings, owing to the natural sweetness of peanut butter.
Can Eating Too Much Peanut Butter Be Bad for You?
Eating more than two tablespoons (25 to 30 grams) of peanut butter can be bad for your health. Store-bought peanut butters are loaded with added sugars, salt, fats, oils, etc., which can make you gain weight, increase your blood sugar and blood pressure levels, etc.
Peanut butter is also naturally high in fats and calories which can make you put on weight. It also has an unhealthy ratio of omega-6 fatty acids to omega-3 fatty acids (20:1), which is much higher than the ideal ratio of 1:1 to 4:1. This unbalanced intake of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can cause inflammation which poses several health risks.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Peanut Butter?
Peanut butter, when eaten in moderation, has several amazing health benefits like:
- It has a low Glycaemic Index (GI) score, which prevents a blood sugar spike and stabilizes your blood sugar levels if you have diabetes.
- It has healthy fats which lower your blood cholesterol levels and reduces your risk for heart disease.
- It can help you sleep better if eaten before bed.
- Its high protein content helps you build lean muscle.
- It is rich in antioxidants which prevent oxidative and free radical damage in your body.
- It boosts your energy levels.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Peanut butter is rich in protein, healthy fats, fiber, vitamins and essential minerals.
- It can help you lose weight by keeping you full for longer, stabilizing your blood sugar levels, curbing sugar cravings and snacking, and slowing down your digestion.
- You can include peanut butter into your diet by adding it to your sandwiches, oatmeal, smoothies, fruit slices, and frozen yogurt.
- The best time to eat peanut butter for weight loss is for breakfast, after a workout, and as a substitute for dessert.
- Eating too much peanut butter can make you gain weight, increase your blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels, and also cause inflammation in your body.
- Regular consumption of a moderate quantity of peanut butter can boost your energy, help you build lean muscle, reduce oxidative damage, lower your cholesterol levels, stabilize your blood sugar levels, and help you sleep better.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Yes, peanut butter keeps you feeling full for a longer period of time because of its high protein content. This can help you cut down on snacking and overeating, which contributes to weight loss. However, eating too much peanut butter can make you gain weight, so remember to eat it in moderation.
Yes, but in moderation. Peanut butter is high in protein and fiber which makes it very filling, but it is also high in calories and fat. Eating too much peanut butter can lead to weight gain, so try to limit your daily consumption to two tablespoons (25 to 30 grams).
Peanut butter is rich in calories and fat, so eating too much of it can cause weight gain.
Yes, peanut butter is rich in protein and fiber, which keeps you feeling full for a longer period of time. This can help you cut down on snacking and overeating, thus contributing to weight loss. Peanut butter also stabilizes your blood sugar levels, which lowers insulin levels in your blood and encourages fat burning.
Homemade peanut butter with very little or no added salt and sugar is the best option for weight loss. Most store-bought peanut butters have added sugars, sodium, oils, fats, etc., which can cause weight gain.
Yes, eating a spoon of peanut butter before going to bed can curb hunger and midnight snacking, improve your blood sugar levels, help you sleep better and boost your energy levels in the morning.