Did you know that puffed rice, a regular ingredient in many Indian kitchens, can be an incredible addition to your weight loss diet? Yes! Weight loss is one of the many benefits of puffed rice. Know how puffed rice benefits your health and how it helps you lose weight.
Touted for its crunchy taste, puffed rice is a staple ingredient in many Indian households. It may often remind you of your favorite street food, such as bhel puri. But is it healthy? Is puffed rice or murmura good for weight loss? Read on to find out!
What is Puffed Rice?
Puffed rice or murmura, however you like to call it, is a staple ingredient that is commonly used in Indian households. It is processed by heating rice kernels under high pressure in the presence of steam to form puffed grains. It can also be easily fabricated into ready-to-eat cereals. Puffed rice is a healthy and nutritious food with many health benefits. Let’s take a look at the nutritional value of puffed rice.
Nutritional Value of Puffed Rice
|100 g of Puffed Rice
How is Puffed Rice or Murmura Good For Weight Loss?
Rich in Complex Carbohydrates
Your body needs carbohydrates for energy. Including complex carbohydrates in your diet has several benefits including weight loss. Puffed rice is rich in complex carbohydrates, which boost your metabolism and thus help you lose weight.
High in Fiber
Puffed rice is high in dietary fiber. This helps keep you full for long periods and thus curbs your hunger. Fiber absorbs water and increases in volume inside your stomach. This keeps you satiated and helps you avoid unwanted snacking.
Low in Calories
For losing weight, it is necessary that you are on a calorie deficit. You should aim at burning more calories than you consume. This makes it essential that you choose foods that are low in calories while on a weight loss journey. Puffed rice checks this box too as it has a low calorie count.
Loaded with Nutrients
Puffed rice is nutrient-dense. It is rich in protein, calcium, magnesium, and iron. It is low in unhealthy fats or cholesterol. It helps keep your blood sugar and cholesterol levels in control, and thus promotes weight loss. Being abundant in healthy nutrients and low in fat makes it the perfect weight-loss snack.
Good for Digestion
As puffed rice is packed with fiber, it promotes digestion and regulates bowel movements. It stimulates the secretion of digestive juices and thereby increases the absorption of essential nutrients. It prevents gastrointestinal disorders such as bloating, heartburn, constipation, and gas.
Which is the Best Time to Have Puffed Rice for Weight Loss?
Puffed rice can be consumed for breakfast or as an evening snack. As it is high in fiber and complex carbohydrates, it will keep you full and energized for a long period.
How Much Puffed Rice Can be Consumed in a Day?
You can consume 150 to 170 g of puffed rice in a day. The glycemic index (a value that measures the rise in your blood sugar levels after consuming a particular food) of puffed rice is considered high. Therefore, eating more than the recommended amount per day can increase the risk of developing chronic conditions such as obesity and/or diabetes.
How to Eat Puffed Rice for Weight Loss?
Make Healthy Bhel Puri
Take puffed rice and add vegetables of your choice such as boiled potatoes, onions, carrots, boiled corn, etc., with coriander or tamarind chutneys and spices such as cumin powder.
Eat Mildly Sweetened Puffed Rice Balls
Add a small amount of molten jaggery to puffed rice and roll the mixture into balls, to be enjoyed as a healthy snack.
Make a Spicy Chai Time Snack With Puffed Rice
Roast puffed rice in a skillet with a little bit of oil, curry leaves, peanuts, coconut pieces, and spices such as mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chili powder, turmeric powder, etc. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, while stirring frequently.
Have it for breakfast as a Cereal
Mix puffed rice with a milk of your choice (cow milk, almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk), add in fresh fruits such as bananas for sweetness, and nuts or seeds if desired, to have a healthy start to the day.
Risks of Overconsumption of Puffed Rice for Weight Loss
- Puffed rice is high on the glycemic index. Thus, eating too much of it may put you at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes.
- Puffed rice is a good source of carbohydrates. Thus, eating it regularly in large quantities can lead to weight gain,
What are the Other Health Benefits of Puffed Rice?
Apart from promoting weight loss, puffed rice has several other health benefits:
- The low sodium content in puffed rice helps in regulating your blood pressure and thus promotes heart health.
- Puffed rice is high in essential nutrients and antioxidants. This helps in boosting your immunity and shielding your body against various infections.
- Being enriched with calcium and vitamin D, puffed rice promotes bone health. Calcium also benefits the functioning of your muscles and nerves. Calcium and vitamin D also play a role in preventing chronic conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Puffed rice or murmura is a staple ingredient in many Indian households. It is processed by heating rice kernels under high pressure in the presence of steam to form puffed grains.
- Puffed rice is a healthy and nutritious food with many health benefits. It is high in fiber, complex carbohydrates, and proteins. This makes it the perfect weight-loss snack.
- Puffed rice can be consumed for breakfast or as an evening snack.
- You can consume 150 to 170 g of puffed rice in a day. Consuming more than the recommended amount per day can increase the risk of developing obesity and/or diabetes.
- It can be consumed in the form of healthy bhel puri with vegetables, mildly sweetened puffed rice balls, as a breakfast cereal with milk and fruits, or as a spicy roasted evening snack.
- Eating too much of puffed rice can increase the risk of diabetes and obesity as it is rich in carbohydrates and high on the glycemic index.
- It also helps in regulating your blood pressure levels, boosting your immunity, and promoting your bone and muscle health.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Puffed rice, when consumed in the recommended quantities, does not cause weight gain. You can consume 150 to 170 g of puffed rice in a day. Puffed rice is rich in complex carbohydrates and helps in breaking down fats. It is rich in dietary fiber and has zero cholesterol. Therefore, puffed rice is an ideal food for weight loss.
While on a weight loss journey, puffed rice is a better choice when compared to rice as it is much lower in calories.
A keto diet recommends a daily carbohydrate intake of fewer than 50 g. Puffed rice is not keto-friendly as it is rich in carbohydrates and has a high glycemic index.
Adding puffed rice to your daily diet helps in weight loss. It is high in fiber and helps satiate your hunger for long periods. It helps you avoid unwanted snacking and thus keeps your calorie intake in check. Puffed rice also boosts your metabolism, and thus helps burn more calories.
A diet that is high in protein and fiber and low in calories will help in fat loss. A healthy low-fat diet along with regular exercise will help you lose fat and reduce weight faster.
It is better to avoid having puffed rice at night as it is high in fiber. Your body needs more time to digest foods that are high in fiber and therefore it is better to have these foods early during the day.