Curd has been a staple of the Indian diet for millennia and has plenty of health benefits, but can it help you lose weight? Find out now!
Curd has been part of the Indian diet for thousands of years. If you are like most Indians, then your meal simply feels incomplete without a bowl of curd.
According to ancient and conventional wisdom, curd helps improve your digestion, bone health and boosts immunity. But is curd good for weight loss?
In this article, we will discuss the many benefits of curd for weight loss, its nutrition profile, the best time to eat curd, and much more!
Curd: Nutritional Profile
Curd or yoghurt is a probiotic food. It is rich in gut-friendly bacteria like Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, with about 100 million Lactobacillus cultures in every gram of curd or yoghurt.
Curd also has high quantities of calcium, phosphorus, vitamin B12 (cobalamin), and vitamin B2 (riboflavin).
The following is the nutritional information for 100 grams of curd or yoghurt.
How does Curd Help in Weight Loss?
Wondering why you should include curd in your weight loss regimen? Here’s a few reasons why:
1. The gut-friendly bacteria aid in digestion
The probiotic bacteria present in curd improve digestion and absorption of nutrients. They also maintain the balance of healthy bacteria in your body, which prevents food poisoning, indigestion, upset stomach, and other gastrointestinal problems. This can help you lose weight and keep it off.
2. The high-protein content helps you stay full for longer
Curd has a higher protein content than milk which can keep you satiated for longer. It also helps lower the levels of hunger hormones in your body. This can cut down on snacking and overeating, which contributes to weight loss.
3. The metabolism boost helps with burning fat
The calcium, protein, and probiotics present in curd can boost your metabolism and help you burn more calories. Studies show that eating curd or yoghurt every day along with their meals helped people lose more weight and fat compared to people who did not include curd in their diet.
How to Eat Curd for Weight Loss? Try These Yummy Recipes!
Not sure how to add curd to your diet? Give these yummy recipes a try!
Add it to your smoothie bowl
Try a smoothie with your favourite fruits and instead of milk, use some creamy curd. This gives you a smoothie with a thicker consistency that is far more filling.
Drink a glass of Lassi
Having a glass of Lassi after a meal or instead of a snack can keep you from eating junk. This beverage is an ideal choice for summer, as it can keep you cool and hydrated.
Mix it into your batch of overnight oats
If you’re a fan of oatmeal for breakfast, try eating some overnight oats with yoghurt instead. Just mix your desired quantity of oats with a cup of curd at night, and enjoy it in the morning with your favourite fruits, nuts or trail mix as toppings. This can be a healthier alternative to traditional breakfast.
Whip up some froyo
The heat’s got you down? We have you covered. Try blending some fruits with yoghurt, add honey or jaggery for sweetness if required. Let it chill in the fridge for a while and you have a delicious frozen yoghurt. This is a healthy, homemade, low-calorie substitute for ice cream that you can enjoy guilt-free.
Make a healthy dip
Did you know that condiments and dressings have added sugars, extra sodium, high saturated-fat content, and loads of other unhealthy ingredients that can negatively impact your weight? So forgo the ketchup and mayo, and make a healthy dip with curd, mint, coriander or any other ingredients of your choice.
What is the Best Time to Eat Curd for Weight Loss?
You can eat curd or yoghurt at any time of the day, but try incorporating it into your breakfast or lunch. Eating curd during the day can help you feel fuller and cut down on mid-morning or evening snacking, which can reduce your calorie intake.
What are the Risks of Overconsumption of Curd for Weight Loss?
- Eating too much whole-fat or high-fat curd can cause weight gain.
- The calcium in curd can prevent the absorption of iron and zinc in your body.
- If you are lactose intolerant or sensitive, eating too much curd or dairy products can lead to abdominal discomfort, bloating, diarrhoea, etc.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Eating Curd?
Curd or yoghurt is a great source of protein, vitamins, essential minerals and has several health benefits:
- Improves bone and dental health
- Protects your heart from cardiovascular diseases
- Helps in lowering blood pressure
- Prevents muscle loss and helps build lean muscle
- Reduces the severity of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms
- Boosts immunity, prevents intestinal and vaginal infections
- Improves skin and hair health
- A healthy snacking option for people with diabetes
So if you’re trying to lose weight, why not give curd a try?
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Curd is a great source of protein, calcium, vitamin B12, vitamin B2, and gut-friendly bacteria.
- The probiotic bacteria in curd improve digestion, high protein content keeps you feeling full, and it boosts your metabolism and fat burning, all of which aid in weight loss.
- You can include curd or yoghurt into your diet in the form of smoothies, lassi, frozen yoghurt, mixed into overnight oats, or as a dip.
- The best time to eat curd or yoghurt for weight loss is in the morning for breakfast or in the afternoon for lunch.
- Eating too much curd is not advised as it causes weight gain because of its high-fat content, too much calcium can inhibit iron and zinc absorption, and cause gastrointestinal problems if you have lactose sensitivity or intolerance.
- Curd can improve bone, teeth and skin health, boost immunity, prevent yeast infections, lower blood pressure, protect heart health, and help build muscle.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
Not necessarily. Eating curd or yoghurt daily can help you burn fat and lose weight, but eating large amounts of whole-fat curd may lead to weight gain.
Yes, eating curd rice can help you stay full for longer which prevents snacking and overeating. Try eating brown rice with low-fat or non-fat curd in order to lose more weight.
Yes, curd can be eaten every day. Eating curd or yoghurt daily can help lower your risk of developing heart disease. It also helps you lose weight, and improves your digestion and bone health.
Yes, though curd and milk both have a similar nutritional profile, eating curd is more beneficial as it is easier to digest and is a probiotic.
Yes, milk has high protein content which can help you lose weight. Opt for low-fat or non-fat dairy products in order to lose weight.