Apple is a well-liked food that promotes general health. But do you know about its importance in weight loss? Learn all about how this yummy fruit can help you get fitter.
For years, we’ve been hearing that “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”, but did you know that apples can also keep weight gain at bay? They are not only scrumptious and nutritious, but also a great addition to your weight loss diet. Find out why apple is good for weight loss, how it helps you burn fat, the best time to eat it and much more!
Nutritional Profile of Apples: Red, Green and Yellow
Apples are a fruit that are available in more than 7,500 varieties around the world, which are broadly classified as red, green and yellow varieties. They are a rich source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxidants like pectin and polyphenols. They are relatively low in calories, carbohydrates, sugars and fat. The following are the nutritional profiles for 100g of red, green and yellow apples, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
|Red Apples, with skin(Variety: Red Delicious)
|Green Apples, with skin(Variety: Granny Smith)
|Yellow Apples, with skin(Variety: Golden Delicious)
|56 to 62 kcal.
|53 to 59 kcal.
Which Apple is Good for Weight Loss: Red, Green or Yellow?
Though red, green and yellow apples all have a similar nutritional profile, green and yellow varieties have slightly fewer calories, lower sugar levels and higher fiber content. Hence yellow and green apples are marginally better for weight loss. Some studies show that green apples can help your body burn more calories. However, red apples have a higher concentration of antioxidants.
How do Apples Help in Weight Loss?
They are low in calories
Apples are a low-calorie fruit that require more calories to be digested than they contain. For this reason, they are considered a negative-calorie food. Thus, apples help create a caloric deficit, which helps you lose weight.
They are rich in fiber
The dietary fiber present in apples, including pectin, can help slow down your digestion and lower the absorption of fat and carbohydrates. Fiber also absorbs water, which promotes satiety and curbs appetite. Dietary fiber also supports the growth of healthy gut bacteria, which improves digestion and metabolism. Thus, the fiber in apples can help you lower your calorie intake.
They have high water content
Apples are made up of about 85% of water. The high water content keeps you feeling full for a longer time. Unlike drinking water or other fluids, the presence of carbohydrates and fiber makes apples more effective in curbing hunger.
They are low on the Glycemic Index (GI) scale
The GI score of apples ranges from 32 to 38 depending on the variety. This qualifies them as a low-glycemic fruit. Apples do not cause a sudden spike in your blood sugar levels and keep them stable. Stable blood sugar levels can prevent snacking or impulse eating, lowering your calorie intake.
How Many Apples Should You Eat in a Day to Lose Weight?
You can eat up to 2 medium-sized (135 to 150g each) apples a day to help you lose weight.
What is the Best Time to Eat Apple for Weight Loss?
The best time to eat an apple for weight loss would be on an empty stomach or as a part of breakfast. Eating an apple in the morning can kickstart your metabolism and promote calorie burning throughout the day. You can also eat apples as a snack between meals or in the evening.
What is the Best Way to Eat Apples for Weight Loss?
- The best way to eat apples is as a whole or as slices with the skin. This helps you get the maximum amount of fiber and antioxidants present in apples.
- You can add apples to your oatmeal or smoothie bowl to make your breakfasts more nutritious.
- Slather your apple slices with some peanut butter to make them more filling.
- Replace your desserts with a fruit salad made with apples, bananas, pears, papayas, mangoes or any fruits of your choice.
- Start your day with an apple cider vinegar drink to burn more fat.
Risks of Overconsumption of Apples for Weight Loss
- Since apples are rich in fiber, eating too many could cause flatulence, bloating or abdominal cramps. If you have irritable bowel syndrome or other gastric problems, you should limit your apple consumption.
- Like any other food, apples could cause weight gain if eaten in excess.
- Apples are also slightly acidic, so eating too many can damage the enamel of your teeth.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Apples?
- They promote heart health by reducing your cholesterol levels and lowering your risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.
- They stabilize your blood sugar levels and are a good food option if you have diabetes.
- The fiber in apples promotes the growth of good bacteria in your gut.
- The antioxidants present in apples help reduce inflammation in your body and keep your cells healthy.
What is the Apple Diet for Weight Loss?
The 5-day apple diet for weight loss is a diet plan that makes apples a significant part of your breakfast, lunch and dinner for 5 days, along with some portion of veggies, fresh juices, smoothies and proteins. This diet reduces your daily calorie intake and helps you lose water weight.
Any diet that eliminates most major food groups and focuses on just a few selected foods is unsustainable in the long run and could cause serious nutritional deficiencies.
Don’t Have Time To Read?
- Apples are a great source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxidants and contain about 85% water.
- Green and yellow apples may be better than red apples when it comes to weight loss.
- Apples are rich in fiber and water content, have a low glycemic index and are a negative-calorie fruit, making them ideal for weight loss.
- You should limit your daily consumption to 2 medium-sized apples.
- Eating too many apples can cause bloating, indigestion, flatulence, weight gain, and tooth enamel erosion.
- The best time to eat apples for weight loss is at breakfast and as a snack between meals.
- You can eat apples as a whole, add them to your smoothie bowls, oatmeal, salads etc., or consume an apple cider vinegar drink to boost your metabolism.
- Apples can help prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol and blood sugar, reduce inflammation and promote the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
- Use the Phable Care App to consult India’s leading nutritionists and dieticians to get real-time remote care from the comfort of your home. Check out our store to order healthy treats, weighing scales, fitness bands, and more! We also have a Weight Management Program which provides 360º care. Start your weight management journey with Phable.
Friendly Asked Questions
A small apple (100g) has about 55 to 60 calories, depending on its variety.
Yes, the high fiber and water content present in an apple and the low amount of carbohydrate, fat, sugar, and calories make it an ideal food for weight loss.
Yes, the fiber present in apples can lower the fat and carbohydrate absorption in your gut, reduce inflammation, and prevent overeating, all of which help your body burn more fat.
Fruits like tomatoes, avocados, apples, berries, kiwis, guavas and citrus fruits (oranges, limes, lemons, etc.) can help burn belly fat.
Depending on the variety, apples have about 10 to 13g of sugar per 100g of apples.